Youtube Loads Black Screen

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Zone15

Re: Youtube Loads Black Screen

Post by Zone15 »

I registered just to say that as of today I am having the same issue with the black screen. Sometimes I can refresh the page and it will go straight to the video, other times still a black screen. It makes me wonder if Youtube is slowly rolling something out with the ads which is why it is not effecting everyone? Changing the "Ads based on your interests didn't seem to change anything.

EDIT: Here is one video that it does it every time on, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC5oF7ux4iY

EDIT2: I can confirm the problem ONLY happens when I am logged in to my account. This makes me think they are indeed rolling something new to stop AdBlock out. Also it seems to be related to a cookie of some sorts. Once I clear my cookies, the problem goes away, but then eventually comes back.

EDIT3: It definitely has something to do with a cookie. Had the problem come back again today, cleared all cookies again and back to working. I'm not sure how they are implementing a cookie that is causing the issue or how to block it.
User265826

Post by User265826 »

Hi Everyone
As far as i have been able to find the problem is not with AdBlocker alone, its more of a problem with the compatibility of both YouTube and AdBlocker combined. I've also tried clearing the cache, re-installing, cleaning history and cookies, and many of the other "solutions" posted online with no luck :(. But anyways here is the solution I found. Sorry for the length.

BTW no need to go into Firefox safe more or anything. Though it wouldn't hurt to close unnecessary tabs and clear history, cache, and cookies beforehand.

Step 1
-If your currently logged into a Gmail or YouTube account, log out and check and see if the problem is still there (If the problem isn't occurring anymore this solution should work).
-Now log back into your YouTube/Gmail account.

Step 2
(You could probably skip this step as it is more account preference than anything. But just sharing exactly how I did it)
-Once logged in, go to your personal icon in the top right corner (blue circle usually, or picture), and click on "YouTube settings" (the gear looking logo beside "creator studio").
-Now you should see a screen with multiple tabs on the left side.
-Now in the notifications tab make sure the only checked box is "always choose the best quality for my connection and player size". Leave the others unchecked. And hit "save".
-Don't close the tab just yet.

Step 3
-Go to the "Privacy" tab.
-Under "Ads based on my interests" click the blue link named "Google Ads Settings".
-This will re-direct you to a google site titled "Control your Google ads".
-Now turn OFF both "Ads based on your interests on websites beyond google.com" and "Google Search Ads based on your interests".
(A pop up named "You will still see ads" will pop up. Make sure you hit the "Switch off" option. Than hit "I'M Done" on the next pop up.)
-Now On the bottom of the page, in the first tile on the left, you will see "Control Signed in Ads" . Click that.
-Now once again turn off "Ads Based on your interests" the same way as the other two above^.
-Once you have completed that you can close the current tab.

All Done!

I just made the account on this site to post this. But if this solution works please let me know! :)

Windows 10 64bit
Firefox 40.0.1
AdBlocker Plus 2.7.3.
Zone15

Post by Zone15 »

Unfortunately I have already tried what you listed and it did not work. The videos work fine if I am not signed in, but if I am signed in I get the black screen.
Etc1

Post by Etc1 »

I've been having the same issue for months now, where it will load a black screen for 15-30 seconds and then go to the video, and now today it's gotten even worse where putting some videos on full screen will take the video out entirely and leave the audio playing.

The suggestion of turning off ads based on interest hasn't worked a single day since trying that, either :?
Myyyhw2

Post by Myyyhw2 »

I am still having this issue after trying everything people have suggested on here. But now it's even worse. It won't load the video at all, it only shows a black screen with audio playing just as the person above me said.
Mcface88

Post by Mcface88 »

I just started having this same Issue today, exactly as its described above. I've followed the advice of the above poster with no luck.

When I am logged in, videos are black screened for 15-30 seconds before the video plays, obviously something to do with loading an ad.

When I am logged IN with adblock ON, this issue happens every time a video tries to load an ad. (videos that are not running ads work fine)

When I am logged OUT with adblock ON, the videos load normally.

When I am logged IN with adblock OFF, the video loads normally (but obviously plays the ads)
Zone15

Post by Zone15 »

The issue for me is getting even worse now. Now even if I wait the 10-15 seconds, I end up with a blank screen with no video and just audio.
Zone15

Post by Zone15 »

I tried out uBlock for Firefox and I don't have any issues in Youtube with it, only Adblock Plus. I prefer the features in Adblock Plus over uBlock though, is this being looked in to?
Zone15

Post by Zone15 »

Any update?
tad18

Post by tad18 »

None of the above mentioned "solutions" worked for me.
Does anyone have any Idea how to fix the black screen problem on youtube? I tried everything but can't fix it......
I'm on Mac OSX 10.7.5 with the latest version of Firefox installed.
Please answer because it is super annoying.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Try deleting cookies and local storage for youtube.
Use this addon to delete all cookies + local storage:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ager-plus/

Try also disabling hardware acceleration:
go to Options> Advanced>selecting the 'Use hardware acceleration when available' checkbox> Restart the browser.
Zone15

Post by Zone15 »

mapx wrote:Try deleting cookies and local storage for youtube.
Use this addon to delete all cookies + local storage:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ager-plus/

Try also disabling hardware acceleration:
go to Options> Advanced>selecting the 'Use hardware acceleration when available' checkbox> Restart the browser.
Still doesn't change anything.

EDIT: To add more info. Clearing every cookie seems to fix the issue for a few hours then the problem comes back. Interestingly, deleting just the youtube, google, and doubleclick cookies doesn't seem to fix it.
ultrasuperman

Post by ultrasuperman »

I have the same issue, I've had it for a few months. It works fine in Chrome but ya it defiantly seems to be something on youtube
maswartz

Post by maswartz »

This happened to me a few months ago and it just started again today. I can't remember what I did to fix it last time.
maswartz

Post by maswartz »

I know Firefox updated about a week ago but I can't think of anything else that changed that would cause it to happen again. Weirder still it doesn't happen to all videos, just the majority