Youtube Loads Black Screen

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
maswartz

Re: Youtube Loads Black Screen

Post by maswartz »

mapx wrote:weird, I can't reproduce it ... so, YT / google is using different ways for different users.
Aw damn it.
Blacklight

Post by Blacklight »

Yeah. I think Youtube (or advertisers) is(are) getting smart to the add blocking or AdBlock Plus needs to catch up with how Youtube does things. I think Youtube is tailor making add content setups for each user and somehow it's getting around Adblock Plus. Needless to say, I think that the Adblock Plus team needs to come up with a new strategy to address this.
Etc1

Post by Etc1 »

I've been having this problem for months, and I've done everything here about not allowing intrusive ads, checking the filters, going through Google ad settings, etc.

One thing that I've tinkered around with is uBlock, which seemed to work to prevent this from being an issue if I disabled AdBlock Plus on YouTube and kept uBlock on. However, that program just isn't up to par with ABP to use on the regular instead of ABP, so I kept both programs and only really applied uBlock to YouTube.

Well, recently, uBlock has been allowing some mid-roll ads to get through, and earlier today, the beginning ad of a video played, rendering uBlock pretty pointless for YouTube if that's the case. I re-enabled ABP for YouTube and I'm right back to the black screen 15-30 second pause before videos load.

HOWEVER...I was just messing with disabling various filters that were enabled while loading videos up, and I think I've come across the culprit.

Try disabling =adunit& from your EasyList.

I did that and so far, I've loaded up about 20 different videos that would always give me this problem and it seems like they're all skipping the black pause.
maswartz

Post by maswartz »

Etc1 wrote:I've been having this problem for months, and I've done everything here about not allowing intrusive ads, checking the filters, going through Google ad settings, etc.

One thing that I've tinkered around with is uBlock, which seemed to work to prevent this from being an issue if I disabled AdBlock Plus on YouTube and kept uBlock on. However, that program just isn't up to par with ABP to use on the regular instead of ABP, so I kept both programs and only really applied uBlock to YouTube.

Well, recently, uBlock has been allowing some mid-roll ads to get through, and earlier today, the beginning ad of a video played, rendering uBlock pretty pointless for YouTube if that's the case. I re-enabled ABP for YouTube and I'm right back to the black screen 15-30 second pause before videos load.

HOWEVER...I was just messing with disabling various filters that were enabled while loading videos up, and I think I've come across the culprit.

I did that and so far, I've loaded up about 20 different videos that would always give me this problem and it seems like they're all skipping the black pause.
I tried that, it gave me the ad.
Blacklight

Post by Blacklight »

This completely solved the problem for me for running about 15 videos.

Then, suddenly, every video started bombarding me with adds. It was almost as if Youtube detected that no adds were playing and changed the algorithm to subvert the filters. I wonder if something like that is going on here.
Etc1

Post by Etc1 »

Blacklight wrote:
This completely solved the problem for me for running about 15 videos.

Then, suddenly, every video started bombarding me with adds. It was almost as if Youtube detected that no adds were playing and changed the algorithm to subvert the filters. I wonder if something like that is going on here.
Yeah...I seem to have run into the same problem. It worked for a while and now the ads are back.

Ugh.
Spartakush

Post by Spartakush »

I've been having this for a while on some videos now, and I've finally found a 100% solution (for me, at least). It seems to be a problem with HTML5, if you use YouTube with the old flash player the black screen loading does not happen at all.
If you're using Firefox, I recommend using this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... eo-player/ It let's you switch seamlessly between HTML5 player and flash player for YouTube videos. I believe there are alternative addons for Chrome and other browsers too that do the same thing.

Test it for yourself with flashplayer, you should notice the video always loads instantly as it used to. I know some people hate flash with passion, but I honestly never had a problem with it on YouTube (I have hardware acceleration disabled). Let me know if this works for anyone else!
maswartz

Post by maswartz »

Spartakush wrote:I've been having this for a while on some videos now, and I've finally found a 100% solution (for me, at least). It seems to be a problem with HTML5, if you use YouTube with the old flash player the black screen loading does not happen at all.
If you're using Firefox, I recommend using this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... eo-player/ It let's you switch seamlessly between HTML5 player and flash player for YouTube videos. I believe there are alternative addons for Chrome and other browsers too that do the same thing.

Test it for yourself with flashplayer, you should notice the video always loads instantly as it used to. I know some people hate flash with passion, but I honestly never had a problem with it on YouTube (I have hardware acceleration disabled). Let me know if this works for anyone else!
It didn't give me the ad but the video was laggy a bit.
Blacklight

Post by Blacklight »

Yeah. That worked, but like the above poster said, the video was very laggy and the video quality kept dropping out. Running it in HTML5 doesn't give me any of the lagginess or video quality drops.
is55

Post by is55 »

There a legit fix yet?
Borzekes

Post by Borzekes »

Hi

I had the same problem. (seems one workaround works for now)

Question: Is there a permanent fix that will be included in an update soon? I guess a lot of people are having this problem.
maswartz

Post by maswartz »

Borzekes wrote:Hi

I had the same problem. (seems one workaround works for now)

Question: Is there a permanent fix that will be included in an update soon? I guess a lot of people are having this problem.
As far as I can tell the solutions so far get noticed and blocked almost immediately.
is55

Post by is55 »

This just started happening to me less than a week ago, idkw. Reallllly Sucks
maswartz

Post by maswartz »

This was fixed for me for about two weeks now but it just started happening again!
Zone15

Post by Zone15 »

maswartz wrote:This was fixed for me for about two weeks now but it just started happening again!
Same here, just started back again this morning... So annoying. I don't understand why ABP has this problem but uBlock doesn't.