Background videos

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
starhugger

Background videos

Post by starhugger »

Lately I'm seeing some sites running videos in the background of a page. I guess it's supposed to look cool but to me it is just extremely annoying. There doesn't seem to be any way to change it or stop it. I'm not sure what the platform is; Flashblock doesn't seem to stop it no matter what I do. Here is an example page:

Code: Select all

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/featured/qc35.html

I can't read the text on a page while there is animation, which is why I use AdBlockPlus. This stuff is only going to be used more and more often, I'm sure, so I'm dreading this taking over the Internet.

Could this be added to the list of objects that are blocked using AdBlockPlus? It's not technically an ad, but it's obviously a promotional strategy designed to mesmerize its audience and hold their attention.
mapx

Re: Background videos

Post by mapx »

try this filter

Code: Select all

||cloudfront.net$script,domain=bose.ca
starhugger

Post by starhugger »

Thanks mapx, that worked. But it doesn't solve the overall problem of this kind of promotional strategy being used more and more. Where can this be requested as a standard added feature to AdBlockPlus?

Thanks.
mapx

Post by mapx »

There is no chance to automatically get all these annoyances (could be very different implementation).
Just report the pages / sites and someone will find the right filter.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

starhugger wrote:Flashblock doesn't seem to stop it
With the advent of the video tag in HTML5, FlashBlock and other plugin-blocking solutions will not stop all videos; in fact, it's surprisingly difficult to keep videos from autoplaying.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
starhugger

Post by starhugger »

Sigh.....

Thanks mapx and lewisje. It gets harder to stay on top of these new fangled things. ;-)