Sponsored Ads on yahoo.com newsfeed revisit

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
OldGuyInDenver

Sponsored Ads on yahoo.com newsfeed revisit

Post by OldGuyInDenver »

Hello,
No flames please just a total newbie to ADP. Newbie in the sense of needing some help.

On this site, https://www.yahoo.com/, and from the screenshot I have: https://imgur.com/GGyt4vH

The 2nd article is a Sponsored ad. I have the latest ADP with ADP warning list, Easylist and Fanboylist enabled.

Is there a new list that will do this? Or is there something I can do to customize one of the above subscriptions? I am ok with opening the Object Inspector and looking at the HTML code. Just don't know what to add.

If there are some tutorials on this, please add them to your reply.

Thanks
mapx

Re: Sponsored Ads on yahoo.com newsfeed revisit

Post by mapx »

I can't reproduce the ad on the main page, however I found sponsor article on some article page
add

Code: Select all

yahoo.com##[data-ad-feedback-beacon*="beap.bc.yahoo.com"]
OldGuyInDenver

Post by OldGuyInDenver »

Please pardon my ignorance, but were do I add this code in ADP?

And if you go to yahoo.com and look in the news feed itself, you see no articles in the feed that at the top of the article with the word Sponsored and an icon like a dollarsign in a sunburst like my imgur pic?

That is what I am looking to get rid of.

Sorry for being thick.
mapx

Post by mapx »

yes, I got such a sponsored stuff but only when I read / enter some article, not on the main page like you.

how to add custom filters:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42013
OldGuyInDenver

Post by OldGuyInDenver »

Ok so I added the code and it does not work.

And we are not on the same page as you are not seeing what I am. Thanks for pointing me to the right way to add code as a custom filter.

Should I look at the code for the actual Sponsored ad?
mapx

Post by mapx »

you should use EHH (element hiding helper) which works together ABP (created by the same team)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... idehelper/

it allows you to create easier your hiding filters (use it in advanced mode)
inspect the element which you want to hide, in the inspect window you'll note an ABP icon. Click it, then in advanced mode you can edit the proposed filter (keeping only the fix part)
mapx

Post by mapx »

I hope you are aware about the acceptable ads (see in filter preferences page if "allow some nomn intrusing advertising" is ON or OFF)
OldGuyInDenver

Post by OldGuyInDenver »

Hello,
Yes, I did a search of the forums before logging this help request and did turn off the intrusive advertising :)

And I did as you said regarding the text blocking addon. It worked great. Too bad I am a numb skull:

The text "Sponsored" is now invisible, but the ads they were highlighting are still there.

Not sure how to proceed other than removing the Sponsored filter so I can see what articles are really ads.

Any ideas?
mapx

Post by mapx »

remove the filter and select the real ad-article or even select directly the text "sponsored" + the ad-article (directly or using the inspect window)
OldGuyInDenver

Post by OldGuyInDenver »

Hello and thanks for your last advice. Makes complete sense.

However, it was my thinking that was flawed: I thought that the Sponsored text was a part of the ad/article. So if we focused on Sponsored, the ad would be consumed by the filter as well. That is not the case. They are 2 separate entities in the HTML. So I would have to create a filter for every ad/article on that page. And they would just keep coming.

Thank you for your help. I feel this is now a lost cause.

And I did learn how to customize ADP, so that is a good thing right? :)
mapx

Post by mapx »

you should (as I wrote above, editing the proposed filter), find the fix part of any of ad-article things ==> all those ads will be hidden using a single hiding filter.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Are you using easylist or "easylist without hiding filters" ?

add also

Code: Select all

yahoo.com##.js-stream-ad