Adblock (plus) crashes my browser

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
rick752

Everything works fine here

Post by rick752 »

I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows with Adblock Plus 0.6.1 with my own filters and everything works fine on that site. No ads... no crashes.

Post by Guest »

I was having the same problem with gmail crashing. I don't think it is AdBlock, but due to CustomizeGoogle. I disabled the plugin and now everything works well. I still want to try to use customizegoogle for everything but gmail and see if that still crashes.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Anonymous wrote:I was having the same problem with gmail crashing. I don't think it is AdBlock, but due to CustomizeGoogle. I disabled the plugin and now everything works well. I still want to try to use customizegoogle for everything but gmail and see if that still crashes.
I use CustomizeGoogle and the only thing I have it do to Gmail is force HTTPS, and there aren't consistent crashes on Gmail.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I was finally able to track this down (many thanks to Sairam Sohil Nagulapalli). These crashes are caused by the plugin "Yahoo Application State" (npYState.dll), installed by Yahoo Messenger. Purpose of this plugin is unclear, I will request information from Yahoo (and send them info on the crash of course). Removing it definitely solves the problem (it is usually installed in C:\Program files\Yahoo!\Shared).

Update: I think that I know the function of this plugin now. It is supposed to tell Yahoo Mail which version of Yahoo Messenger you have installed. Yahoo Mail then could show you some special links for voice chat etc (it doesn't however because of a bug). Unfortunately it is impossible to work around this problem - I found out that the crash isn't triggered by anything Adblock Plus does, it is rather the very basic fact of adding a content policy. And it doesn't look like it is possible to disable plugins from extensions...

Update2: Got a template answer from Yahoo: "We know about this problem, we are working on it" :-(

Post by guest »

:!: :!: :!: :!: Many thanks to
Wladimir Palant for finding the cause of this problem :!: :!: :!: :!:

(There are lots of false theories and fixes for this problem on other message boards.)

Post by Guest »

thank you thank you thank you! Great job on finding the solution. you are a rock star!
garcia

Post by garcia »

Yes Thank you Wladimir - you are a genius.

Any way I can help support adblock plus, just let me know.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

FYI: I reinstalled Yahoo Messenger and then deleted npYState.dll. Firefox with Adblock Plus and Yahoo Messenger have worked fine since.
DLWood

Post by DLWood »

When I deleted npYState.dll, everything seems to work fine except I can't "compose" in Yahoo Mail. The curser just won't go to the message window. It will in Safe Mode though.... ?? Anyone else experiencing this?

Post by Guest »

Thank you Wladimir!! Sorry DLW, everything seems to be working great for me now with the deletion of that file.
Peng

Post by Peng »

DLWood wrote:When I deleted npYState.dll, everything seems to work fine except I can't "compose" in Yahoo Mail. The curser just won't go to the message window. It will in Safe Mode though.... ?? Anyone else experiencing this?
Unless you happen to go by Dan in the newsgroups, Dan in mozilla.support.firefox reports this problem, too.

Post by Guest »

Peng wrote:
DLWood wrote:When I deleted npYState.dll, everything seems to work fine except I can't "compose" in Yahoo Mail. The curser just won't go to the message window. It will in Safe Mode though.... ?? Anyone else experiencing this?
Unless you happen to go by Dan in the newsgroups, Dan in mozilla.support.firefox reports this problem, too.
Yes, I'm one and the same Dan. I experimented around a little, disabling my FF extensions one at a time, and StumbleUpon caused the problem. After disabling and re-enabling the extension, everything works fine now. So cool to finally get Yahoo Mail working with FF with all extensions enabled!!
Peng

Post by Peng »

Anonymous wrote:Yes, I'm one and the same Dan. I experimented around a little, disabling my FF extensions one at a time, and StumbleUpon caused the problem. After disabling and re-enabling the extension, everything works fine now. So cool to finally get Yahoo Mail working with FF with all extensions enabled!!
Heh. :P

Interesting that StumbleUpon would do that, and then work perfectly after being disabled and reenabled. No idea why. It shouldn't interfere with that.

Actually, it does detect hightlighted text, maybe that's the culprit?

Edit: Maybe you should report that to the StumbleUpon folks?
rmarlais

yahoo mail, compose

Post by rmarlais »

I lost the ability to compose on Yahoo. The widow to write messages would not open. I deleted FF and reinstalled. That solved the problem two weeks ago.
Today it happened again. Deleting FF and reinstalling does not work today. I can however use internet explorer and have access to Yahoo Mail and compose with no problem.

ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION???

RMARLAIS

Re: yahoo mail, compose

Post by Guest »

rmarlais wrote:I lost the ability to compose on Yahoo. The widow to write messages would not open. I deleted FF and reinstalled. That solved the problem two weeks ago.
Today it happened again. Deleting FF and reinstalling does not work today. I can however use internet explorer and have access to Yahoo Mail and compose with no problem.

ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION???

RMARLAIS
Before I found my above fix, I made a shortcut to Yahoo Mail in safe mode, and it worked perfectly w/o crashing. Target like so:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode http://mail.yahoo.com