Adblock (plus) crashes my browser

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Garcia

Post by Garcia »

wyth - I feel for you brother!

No one but us knows the pain of having to choose between constant crashes and a web full of ads.

I have a working fix for yahoo mail - just whitelist it. If you want to block the ads (like I do) then just install greasemonkey and download a script to block ads on yahoo. Greasemonkey in itself can be a useful extension to have (if you ever want to customize the look of a webpage). Ad blocking is just one of the things it can do. Obviously you can't customize the look of every web page, so adblock is still very necessary and useful.

I know its using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut. But boy what a nut! I spent months on this problem before I found this board.
wyth

Post by wyth »

Using greasemonkey with glee right now. That was a good call.

There's also a userCONTENT.css hack you can add to your chrome for that extra layer of protection.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock

Post by Guest »

but these ads are all only hidden, not blocked. Only Adblock can block ads (and firewalls/proxys of course).
garcia

Post by garcia »

Anonymous wrote:but these ads are all only hidden, not blocked. Only Adblock can block ads (and firewalls/proxys of course).
I agree - Adblock is the best solution.

But until (if ever) the bugs are resolved we have to rely on other solutions for certain sites (such as yahoo mail).

Garcia.
wyth

Post by wyth »

So this is where I ended up with all this.

After having numerous crashes, despite all the profile deleting, re-installing, nuking, rinsing and scrubbing and no-extension-having, I couldn't get 1.5.0.1 to be stable, Adblock or no Adblock. So I rolled back to 1.0.7 and installed Adblock Plus with Filterset.G, and am boking myself on the head for not doing it sooner.

No Greasemonkey or Blue Frog here, but it's nice to be on stable ground again. It's no sacrifice.

And 1.0.8 will be out in a couple weeks, so I can't see a down side here.
Mono

Post by Mono »

My FF (1.5.0.1 EN) keeps crashing every time I open up www.eurosport.com with Obj. Tabs enabled. I first noticed this odd behaviour a few days ago, and I can't figure out what is causing it. The only thing I can think of is that I installed FF 1.5.0.1 last week. Can Adblock Plus and/or FF 1.5.0.1 be the culprit?

I have tried both Adblock Plus 0.5* and the new 0.6*, both make FF crash with Obj Tabs enabled. Anyone with FF 1.5.0.1 and Adblock Plus willing to log on to http://www.eurosport.com/ with Obj Tabs enabled, just to see if it's a general problem or just me?

Thanks in advance,

Mono
wyth

Post by wyth »

I wish I could say it's an AdBlock thing, but from my own frustrating, drawn-out experience, I believe this is more of a FF 1.5 issue (and I kept getting js3250.dll faults in my event viewer). I've spent the past couple weeks trying any number of re-installations, extensions and lack thereof, safe modes, and couldn't get away from a steady stream of random crashes. Others have had similar stories, and some others have had great times with it. But going back to 1.0.7 solved my issues (and Eurosport page didn't crash for me), and I can use AdBlock once again with little hassle.

From what I've seen, there's been a growing disatisfaction with 1.5, and in the next couple weeks a 1.0.8 version will be released along with 1.5.0.2.
garcia

Post by garcia »

wyth wrote: From what I've seen, there's been a growing disatisfaction with 1.5, and in the next couple weeks a 1.0.8 version will be released along with 1.5.0.2.
Wow - I had no idea it was this bad. Know where I can find out more?

Thanks
garcia.
NJH

Post by NJH »

It is not that bad! Mozilla were always going to support the 1.0 branch for a fixed time (6 months?) after 1.5 branch was released. This is just the same as M$ supporting multiple versions of Windows at the same time.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Unbelievable... Everybody complaining about crashes, nobody willing to help me fix them. Just great...
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Well, WP, I'd help but I just don't get any crashes. And I'm using the nightly branch builds. Ones heading for 2.0. No crashes here ever..knock on wood.
Wladimir Palant

No crashes here either - that's the problem...

Post by Guest »

Just tell me how Net Meeting works, I'm brave enough to open up my PC.
Wladimir Palant

WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

WP,

I think I have helped. I "generated" several crash reports through the quality feedback agent by trying different enabling and disabling of extensions and going to Yahoo Mail shortly after I installed FF 1.5. It is possible that several of the reports listed above are mine.

Today, I had FF crash on me. I disabled all but MR Tech Local Install and Greasemonkey, went to Yahoo Mail and did not have FF crash. I reenabled Adblock Plus, then used the middle button to toggle Adblock off and FF did not crash. I then tried to disable for Yahoo Mail only and FF crashed!

Interesting, only the very first crash today opened up the quality feedback agent. The rest just closed FF.

Other than this, I love Adblock Plus.