Global adblocking failure

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
sdoherty0

Global adblocking failure

Post by sdoherty0 »

I have been a long time ABP user and am supremely grateful for this piece of software - thank you.
Within the last few days ABP has ceased blocking ads and only blocks elements explicitly chosen with the right click menu.
Pretty much all ads now show.
I downgraded firefox from 48.0.2 to 48.0.1 to see if it was that, but it is not. Nothing I know has changed, ABP simply stopped working on or about Sept 4 or 5 2016.
I am using ABP 2.7.3
Windows 7 64bit
I am using the portableapps.com version of FF - but have been for a long time.
mapx

Re: Global adblocking failure

Post by mapx »

Did you check your filter lists ? especially easylist ==> see if it's correctly downloaded (no errors in filter preferences / filter lists)
Check also your custom filters: remove / disable them and re-test.

The option "disable everywhere" has to be unchecked.

If still does not work, reset firefox, reinstall ABP (first save / sync your settings: bookmarks, passwords, addons ...)
sdoherty0

Post by sdoherty0 »

I backed up all my FF profile, then disabled every addon except ABP - still had problem.
I deleted all my custom filters (the entire folder), and re-downloaded the easy list.
It now works. As far as I know nothing new occurred to trigger it, but perhaps the filter list became corrupt somehow.

Thanks.
feedup

Post by feedup »

check and see if your filters are loading when you open firefox. that is the problem i have found any no resolution yet. i checked with all 3 daughters and wifes they all had no idea theirs were not loading either till the opened it and looked. it is apparently some type of bug, i have talked to over 20 co workers and friends all but 2 had no filters load when they open FF. It appears any mention of this gets the post deleted as well.
mapx

Post by mapx »

@feedup, instead of posting in all the threads, you could provide some feedback here:
forum/viewtopic.php?p=158361#p158361