Subscription list updates when auto updating is turned off

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
madisonave

Subscription list updates when auto updating is turned off

Post by madisonave »

Not sure if this is an problem with ABP or EasyList - AdBlock Warning Removal list.

Using ABP 2.7.3 in Tor Browser 6.0.5 (Firefox 45.4.0) in Windows.
All addons in Tor Browser are set not to automatically update. "extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault" set to False.

And in ABP options, "Automatic Updates" is also checked OFF. But AdBlock Warning Removal list auto updates, anyway.
The other 2 lists - EasyList & EasyPrivacy - wait until I manually update them. I can't imagine why one list's updating behavior is different.

The about:config pref "extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_autoupdate" was still = TRUE, even though the ABP option "Automatic Updates" was set to OFF. Seems if ABP Automatic Updates = OFF, it should toggle the "...subscriptions_autoupdate" to Off. That still doesn't explain why only the AdBlock Warning Removal list auto updates, and the others wait for manual updating.

I don't know if ABP's own options for automatic updates control subscription lists, the addon, or both? For addons, there's a difference in checking for updates & automatically installing new ones. That may not be true for ABP subscription lists? I uninstalled the AB Warning Removal list & reinstalled. Too soon to tell.

This fixed bug - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=701987 - about what Firefox specific settings / options for checking addon updates *or* automatically installing them mean, & which about:config pref they control (some naming may have changed since 2011).

Thanks