[user fault] Adblock does not appear to be blocking anything

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
umpiredice

[user fault] Adblock does not appear to be blocking anything

Post by umpiredice »

I just downloaded Adblock Plus for Firefox, via the "Install for Firefox" button on the main adblockplus.org web page. Even though I got a message that said Adblock Plus had been installed, and even though Adblock Plus appears in the list of Firefox add-ons, there is absolutely no difference to any web page I view. There are still ads everywhere. I've gone into Adblock filter options and disabled the option to allow some non-intrusive advertising, but the pages I view are still littered with ads. I'm running the latest Firefox release on the latest version of Windows 10 on a brand new laptop. What am I doing wrong?
mapx

Re: Adblock does not appear to be blocking anything

Post by mapx »

- go into filter preferences: check if the (filter) lists are correctly downloaded (especially easylist)
- be sure "disable everywhere" option is unchecked
umpiredice

Post by umpiredice »

Thank you. By "correctly downloaded", do you mean that I have clicked the "update filters" action? I've done that, and both filters now show the current date and time for the last successful update. Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the same ads as before.
smed79

Post by smed79 »

umpiredice wrote:I'm still seeing the same ads as before.
Upload a screenshot on imgur.com with an example of these ads then post here the link.

also scan your system for malware/adware using:
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware
- AdwCleaner https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdown ... dwcleaner/
umpiredice

Post by umpiredice »

Sorry for the delay in replying. I ran the AdwCleaner scan and it found nothing. I didn't run the MalwareBytes download because I already have Norton Antvirus, and repeated full scans have come up with no threats. I'm not particularly keen on signing up for an account on imgur.com - is there any other way of posting a screen shot to this forum?
mapx

Post by mapx »

- just upload the screenshot where you want and post here the link
- you could also choose a site (page) with ads then submit an issue report. Post here the report link.
- malwarebytes antimalware is covering other zone in virus / malware world (where norton could fail)
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

umpiredice wrote:I didn't run the MalwareBytes download because I already have Norton Antvirus
Run it anyway: This on-demand scanner often finds problems that other scanners don't (and Norton probably would find some things that MalwareBytes doesn't).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
umpiredice

Post by umpiredice »

One page that is appearing exactly as it used to, with ads, is www.arseblog.com. Right now, at the top of the page, there's an ad for EA Sports FIFA 17 game. A little further down on the right of the page is an ad for Homesense. If I scroll down, there's another ad for FIFA 17. And at the bottom of the page there's an ad for the 2016 Nissan Sentra.

I've downloaded the MalwareBytes installer and will run it this evening.
umpiredice

Post by umpiredice »

MalwareBytes found zero iessues.
umpiredice

Post by umpiredice »

Oh, #%&$%#. In fact, double @#%%##%#$% with @##%^$ on top.

Close this thread.

I'm too smegging embarrassed to tell you why. God, I'm stupid. Sorry to have wasted all your time.