adblock for thundebird!

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I don't know, I fixed all the issues I had with Forumzilla (which was then built into Thunderbird). What are yours?
alta88

Post by alta88 »

you really want to know?

258465 Duplicate entries appear in feeds
262316 Sort by date does not sort messages in thread by date
299408 CSS support for RSS summaries
309449 Unable to add RSS again after deleting its RSS folder
333237 RSS message pane behavior
308436 [Feature request] Being able to save feed message page as rdf resource or mail
334479 RSS feeds cannot be updated seperately

and there's other general buggy stuff. rdf file corruption is common, feeds break, i use livelines to get subscribe from Fx which works half the time only, etc etc. the infamous 4 year 'no rt click paste in add feed field' has finally been fixed in Tb2...

i'm coming (trying to come) from GreatNews. but i will say that having ABP is a big plus.

thanks for asking :D :D
Wladimir Palant

I'll take a look at the first four. As to the enhancement requests - I'm not sure mscott would like to see them implemented in this form.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

it would be an enormous advance for rss in Tb if someone of your level gave it some serious attention..

mscott is pretty clear the Message Pane is not to be a 'full' browser. i'd prefer Tb to be Fx wrapped with a Folder Pane and Message List, but i don't run it and can deal. big pic aside, there are many little details broken, first 2 are the biggest and blockers imo. another important bug regarding date is this:

86845 Sort order for mail/news not configurable by default

sorry for the OT. i'd be glad to help QA or code (but only if it's assembler..). ;)
Wladimir Palant

@alta88: The whitelisting change is done, the next development build will whitelist blog entries by their URL instead of the sender (which is still spoofable but probably more meaningful in this context).

Argh, I really would prefer better APIs in Thunderbird. Everything I do here feels like writing a hack.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@alta88: The whitelisting change is done, the next development build will whitelist blog entries by their URL instead of the sender (which is still spoofable but probably more meaningful in this context).

Argh, I really would prefer better APIs in Thunderbird. Everything I do here feels like writing a hack.
thanks - it just seems website is slightly more 'strict' than sender/author, which is fine as an alternative.

yes. i hate to say it, but i feel it's a rewrite at this point. inheritance of legacy code , patching and more patching, we're at the point now where tiny bug fixes take years due to incredibly steep learning curve (not to mention lack of resources).

it's a management problem contributing to the mess. new feature bits are being added in half releasable states. imo, the rss piece was unqualified to be released then and still would be so today. look at the new 4 way Folder Pane View toggle - completely half baked and designed in the spirit of the 5 hardcoded message tags of yesteryear.

sorry, i digress... ;)