Phasing out Firefox 3.0 and 3.5 support

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
bob3232

Help guys!!

Post by bob3232 »

I'm sure most of you know what flock is and I really like using Flock, particularly Flock 2.0.3. Is there any version of adblock plus that SUPPORTS flock 2.0.3? I'm always getting a -260 error when I try to install adblock plus on flock 2.0.3...is there any workaround for this? thx

I've tried installing adblock plus versions 1.33, 1.2, 1.1 and older versions...still nothing seems to want to install on flock 2.0.3
Wladimir Palant

Re: Phasing out Firefox 3.0 and 3.5 support

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Nothing after Adblock Plus 1.0.2. But given the huge number of known security vulnerabilities in Flock 2.0 I would seriously recommend giving up on Flock. Not to mention that Adblock Plus won't work too great - all available filter subscription use filter features that were introduced after Adblock Plus 1.0.2.
bob3232

Post by bob3232 »

I tried the version before 1.0.2 and it worked!! I know that flock has tons of security vulnerabilities. But then again what browser can do 15 tabs open, with youtube (hd video) all for less than 160 MB of memory footprint?? I know ie 7.0 can't, the new firefox (version 4) is AN ABSOLUTE MEMORY HOG. I thought firefox 4 was going to be a nice browser especially since it came much later than other new browsers such as Opera 11, ie 9 and safari latest version. But still, even though there's tons of features in firefox 4, why can't they seem to fix the most fundamental part of browsing--system resource use. As a matter of fact BEFORE I got flock 2.0.3, I tested firefox 4. I mostly ran 10-15 tabs on average with video sites including youtube and msnbc. I tell you in task manager, firefox 4 was running over 385 MB! This is precisely why I switched to flock...other than the security stuff what other browser is more lightweight than flock?

P.S. A big vote of thanks for mentioning the adblock plus version that was suitable for flock...thx again I think adblock plus is a MUST for anyone browsing the web!
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Nothing after Adblock Plus 1.0.2. But given the huge number of known security vulnerabilities in Flock 2.0 I would seriously recommend giving up on Flock. Not to mention that Adblock Plus won't work too great - all available filter subscription use filter features that were introduced after Adblock Plus 1.0.2.
the makers of Flock have discontinued it and now recommend using the latest versions of either Chrome or Firefox.

what about Phasing out Firefox 3.6 support, Wladimir?
After Firefox 4.0 came out, Mozilla started their "rapid release" process similar to how Google is releasing newer versions of Chrome. And I've just recently downloaded and installed Firefox 5.0 beta 1 (which came out a few days ago) on one of my computers. The final release of Firefox 5.0 is scheduled to be released in late June of this year [whoa, that fast?]

maybe it is time to start dropping Firefox 3.0/3.5 support soon.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Firefox 3.0 support has already been apparently dropped: the minimum version according to the Mozilla add-ons site is 3.5.

I obviously can't speak for Wladimir, but I doubt that support for more recent versions of the browser will be dropped until there are significant internal changes that necessitate an alteration to the minimum version requirements.
Last edited by Michael on Tue May 10, 2011 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wladimir Palant

No, minimal supported version is still 3.5 (support for Firefox 3.0 has been dropped with Adblock Plus 1.3).

Dropping support for Firefox 3.6 isn't really being discussed yet. I do want to drop support for Firefox 3.5 however, main holdup is still SeaMonkey. SeaMonkey 2.0 is equivalent to Firefox 3.5 and SeaMonkey 2.1 is still not out. A release candidate for SeaMonkey 2.1 is supposed to be released tomorrow, this is great news for me. Support for Firefox 3.5 will be dropped the moment SeaMonkey 2.1 is released and I don't care that Mozilla still chooses to support it for some reason.

Firefox 5 is scheduled for a release end of June - then we can consider dropping support for Firefox 3.6 (will depend on actual user numbers).
Michael

Post by Michael »

Sorry, I pressed the wrong key when typing my previous post; I have now corrected the version number.
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:I do want to drop support for Firefox 3.5 however, main holdup is still SeaMonkey.
and you should soon. I've found out that the last release of the Firefox 3.5 series is 3.5.19 and there will be no more new FF 3.5 releases after that.

and there's now an FF 3.5 EOL page on MozillaWiki:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/3.5_EOL

we may see another new SM 2.0 release even after 2.1 goes final but Seamonkey will soon follow Mozilla's "rapid release" process.

and what about ABP for K-meleon 1.6 which is based on gecko 1.9.1.x? boy the developers of KM will need to pick up the pace and produce newer versions of K-meleon soon (and finalize KM 1.6) or they are gonna be left way behind.
Wladimir Palant

Thank you for finding this page, nice to see Mozilla finally dropping Firefox 3.5. They have been dragging it along a very long time.

K-Meleon seems to like using old unsupported branches. Anybody using the currently stable K-Meleon version is stuck with Adblock Plus 1.0.2 (released in April 2009). By the time K-Meleon 1.6 is out they will be stuck with Adblock Plus 1.3.x whereas Adblock Plus 1.4 will move on to support K-Meleon 1.7 Alpha only. I say it's a good deal for them...
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:SeaMonkey 2.0 is equivalent to Firefox 3.5 and SeaMonkey 2.1 is still not out. A release candidate for SeaMonkey 2.1 is supposed to be released tomorrow, this is great news for me. Support for Firefox 3.5 will be dropped the moment SeaMonkey 2.1 is released and I don't care that Mozilla still chooses to support it for some reason.
according to the recent Seamonkey StatusMeetings 5/17/11 newsnotes, SM 2.1 final release may come out later this week, perhaps by Friday May 20.

AND the developers of Seamonkey want to abandon support for SM 2.0 as soon as SM 2.1 gets finalized.
I've been told that there will be no more new SM 2.0 releases after version 2.0.14.
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

noelpg29 wrote: according to the recent Seamonkey StatusMeetings 5/17/11 newsnotes, SM 2.1 final release may come out later this week, perhaps by Friday May 20.

AND the developers of Seamonkey want to abandon support for SM 2.0 as soon as SM 2.1 gets finalized.
I've been told that there will be no more new SM 2.0 releases after version 2.0.14.
whups, spoke too soon. the final release of Seamonkey 2.1 is still yet to be determined.
and another release candidate of SM 2.1 will be coming soon (SM 2.1 RC2) before the final one.
and from the 5/31/2011 SM StatusMeeting Newsnotes, there may be another SM 2.0 release based on the gecko 1.9.1 branch
Wladimir Palant

It doesn't matter. Adblock Plus 1.4 (or whatever the post-1.3.x release will be named) will no longer support SeaMonkey 2.0, only SeaMonkey 2.1 - it will definitely be released by then. I announced that change on the requirements page. I won't change compatibility in a minor release however, so if we release Adblock Plus 1.3.9 (which is likely) it will still support SeaMonkey 2.0.
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:It doesn't matter. Adblock Plus 1.4 (or whatever the post-1.3.x release will be named) will no longer support SeaMonkey 2.0, only SeaMonkey 2.1 - it will definitely be released by then. I announced that change on the requirements page. I won't change compatibility in a minor release however, so if we release Adblock Plus 1.3.9 (which is likely) it will still support SeaMonkey 2.0.
that's fine. btw, Seamonkey 2.1 final just came out (Friday afternoon Pacific Time June 10). and mr. kairo mentioned in one of his recent blogs that an SM 2.2 beta 1 is coming shortly after SM 2.1 final is released.
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

Wladimir, you may also want to add support for the latest Seamonkey 2.3a2pre (comm-aurora) nightly builds as well as the 2.4a1pre (comm-central) nightly builds in future dev builds of Adblock Plus.

Seamonkey 2.2 beta 1 may come out the same time Firefox 5.0 final gets released late afternoon pacific time on June 21st. SM 2.2 is based on FF 5.0. Seems like Seamonkey is also following Mozilla's rapid release process.
Wladimir Palant

noelpg29 wrote:Wladimir, you may also want to add support for the latest Seamonkey 2.3a2pre (comm-aurora) nightly builds as well as the 2.4a1pre (comm-central) nightly builds in future dev builds of Adblock Plus.
I did that two weeks before your post: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/7b6477da12f3