Firefox Browser Grabbed by scareware "error 268d3"

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
fintrades

Firefox Browser Grabbed by scareware "error 268d3"

Post by fintrades »

My Firefox browser was taken over by " error 268d3". Could not exit any tabs or windows and system appeared to be totally taken over. Eventually I was able to close the browser, through utilization of utilize Task Manager. Does Adblock Plus offer means to block this type of scareware? Does anyone have suggestions as to how to keep these types of take overs to be blocked?
mapx

Re: Firefox Browser Grabbed by scareware "error 268d3"

Post by mapx »

steps to remove that crap
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-error-268d3-virus/

However, ABP is not antimalware software. IF you subscribe malware domains list could help you to block some known malicious sites
fintrades

Post by fintrades »

Hi MAPX....
The following is what I received from my Malwarebytes support team regarding my inquiry with them.

With browser scareware, no malicious files are downloaded or used on your computer, no permanent modifications are made to your computer and no permanent damage is sustained. Browser scareware is nothing more than a fraudulent website appearing in your browser.

Often, browser scareware originates from ads directly within the legitimate websites you’re visiting.

I suggest looking into installing an ad blocker for your browser, such as uBlock Origin or Adblock Plus.

Because I have malware and security software as well as Adblock Plus on my computer and they (Malwarebytes and ESET) each expressed the same view, I then contacted the Adblock Plus Forum and also Adblock Plus Support. Waiting on Adblock Plus support to respond with helpful information and guidance.

I appreciate your response and thoughts to help me with this concern
mapx

Post by mapx »

Did you add malware domains list ?
If you have problems with some specific site just provide here the page / site and explain what's the issue.

There is no other helpful info.