ABP 2.9 breaks Roboform toolbar

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
ron_a

ABP 2.9 breaks Roboform toolbar

Post by ron_a »

RoboForm is my password manager. roboform.com is their website.

Version 2.9 of ABP prevents the RoboForm toolbar from functioning in Firefox.
I can press the buttons but they all do nothing.
I have reverted to ABP 2.8.2 which does not cause the issue.

I do not have the same issue with IE or Chrome and Roboform.

Current RoboForm Toolbar is 8.2.9.5
mapx

Re: ABP 2.9 breaks Roboform toolbar

Post by mapx »

open blockable items list in ABP and see what's blocked.
ron_a

Post by ron_a »

if I look at blockable items on a blank page there are none, so it's not seeing the toolbar.

I think what is happening is it is preventing the toolbar from loading properly rather than blocking, but that's just a guess.
LagunaJim

BUG Report: ABP 2.9 for Firefox conflicts with Roboform

Post by LagunaJim »

Hi. The Roboform folks have been made aware of a recently cropped-up conflict between the new ABP 2.9 and the current Roboform.

Fingerpointing is useless, but I'm wondering if the ABP developlers are owning this concern and will help us with it -- or will it be up to the Roboform people.

We users are in the middle :)

FYI, reverting to ABP 2.8 seems to resolve the issue.

Thanks! /jim

Problem tied to ABP v2.9 released 6-1-2017
Firefox x64 v53.0.3
Windows 10x64 v1703 (Insider Fast build 16199.1000)
ABP filter lists: Adblock Warning Removal List, Easylist, facebook annoyances blocker, facebook sidebar blocker, facebook news feed annoyances blocker
Wtz

Post by Wtz »

Exactly the same problem - RF toolbar appears but the buttons do nothing. Disabling Adblock lets Roboform work properly again.
LagunaJim

Post by LagunaJim »

I've opened a "bug report" for this issue via the issue tracking system. It is ticket # 5292 available here:
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/5292

As a workaround, instead of disabling ABP outright, I have reverted from the current ABP 2.9 to the previous ABP 2.8.2 release which seems to be ok with Roboform. I got the prior ABP version here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sion-2.8.2

Best/jim
Last edited by LagunaJim on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mapx

Post by mapx »

LagunaJim

Post by LagunaJim »

mapx wrote:report here:
https://issues.adblockplus.org

Done - thanks for the pointer.
LagunaJim

Post by LagunaJim »

Two weeks now, and they have not even acknowledged the 'issue tracker' ticket, #5292.
lyrad

Post by lyrad »

I reported this issue to Roboform about 3 weeks ago. They seemed unaware of the issue and together we found it was related to Adblock Plus. They are supposedly working on the problem. If you don't want to revert to an earlier version of Adblock Plus, you can go to your Add-ons Manager, disable Roboform and then enable it again. You will then be able to login to the Roboform toolbar.
LagunaJim

Post by LagunaJim »

Hi. I did not find this workaround reliable. The problem was intermittent before toggling roboform and remained intermittent for me after.

I have since switched to uBlock Origin, which seems to be doing the job well without the ill side-effects.
lyrad

Post by lyrad »

LagunaJim wrote:Hi. I did not find this workaround reliable. The problem was intermittent before toggling roboform and remained intermittent for me after.

I have since switched to uBlock Origin, which seems to be doing the job well without the ill side-effects.
I have to disable and enable Roboform each time I open and close Firefox. It's annoying but once the toolbar is active it stays that way as long as Firefox remains open. I would think of switching to uBlock Origin but I use ABP Element Hiding Helper a lot and don't know if uBlock has the same feature.
LagunaJim

Post by LagunaJim »

I get you. Glad you found something that works for you.

For a time I reverted to ABP 2.8.2 which also resolved the incompatibilty issue. Not sure what (little) ABP functionality/capability I lost going back that one version of ABP - you might try that so you don't have to toggle Roboform as you are now..

/j
lyrad

Post by lyrad »

Roboform just came out with a new update...

Version 8.3.7 -- June 21, 2017
* Firefox: Switch to new Firefox extension based on WebExtensions API.
* Firefox: New extension is Chrome style, so it does NOT have RF toolbar.
* Firefox: New extension may work without Desktop RoboForm installed, such as on Linux.
* Bug fixes and speed improvements.

There is now an icon in the Firefox toolbar that gives you access to Roboform. I like the fact that it's not a separate toolbar so you have more room on a page. So far so good!
LagunaJim

Post by LagunaJim »

Just goes to show how individual our tastes are -- I'm VERY disappointed that the RoboForm people have done away with their "classic" toolbar.

I discovered years ago that it was possible to put the RF toolbar on the same line as the address bar - so it didn't take up any additional screen real estate.

/jim