ABP 2.9 slowed down Firefox like a turtle over winter

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Bersaglio

ABP 2.9 slowed down Firefox like a turtle over winter

Post by Bersaglio »

Hello! I am using Firefox 52.1.2 ESR on my system running Windows XP Professional SP3. During last week using Adblock in my browser turned into pain. I do not know what happened, but earlier my browser occupied about 450 megabytes of memory and now with ABP 2.9 extension turned on it raised to 1.3Gb. Moreover, every minute it utilizes one core of my CPU with 100% load within about 20 seconds. It became impossible to normally visit web pages with Adblock turned on. Fix this, please!
gameover

Re: ABP 2.9 slowed down Firefox like a turtle over winter

Post by gameover »

FF 53.03 is dead (not responding) with ABP 2.9 on Win 8.1.

It is not site related, FF freezes here on adblockplus.org or just on opening tab, changing ABP options or just typing URL in FF. Any click in FF with active ABP makes it not responding.

Reseting FF and reinstaling ABP does not help. Removing ABP is only solution.
gameover

Post by gameover »

Downgrading to ABP 2.8.2 solved all problems.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Yep!! Same here...The new version has slowed things down considerably causing severe freezes and problems with page scrolling etc. I've reverted to previous version.
Kinne

Post by Kinne »

It probably has to do with adblock opening hundreds of connections to suspicious websites. Within 5 seconds of opening firefox, and with subscriptions enabled, about:memory records over 700 (400+ in one zone, and 300+ in another zone) instances of these suspicious connections, with each instance coming with multiple copies. They don't show up when adblock is disabled, and still show up even when nothing is getting filtered. Additionally, there isn't a single filter referring to any of these websites, and wildcard filters could not possibly make 700+ matches within 5 seconds of firefox opening when only gmail, twitter, youtube (homepage, not video), and the adblock forum are loaded.

So it looks like adblock is now connecting to a handful of suspicious websites hundreds/thousands of times with absolutely no explanations. It's not firefox or a different add-on because it doesn't happen when I disable adblock. It's not my subscriptions, because it happens with all subscriptions disabled. And it's not my filters, because there would not be 700+ checks in only 5 seconds, nor would they all be coming from the same strings. Adblock is opening these connections independent of firefox or subscriptions/filters, and with hundreds of connections being copied an average of 10+ times each, this is probably what's slowing firefox down.
mapx

Post by mapx »

However, which are your subscriptions ?

Can you replicate the same behaviour in a new profile ? What if you remove all your subscriptions (not only disabling them) ?

you should add your comment here:
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/5284
lolcocks

Post by lolcocks »

mapx wrote:However, which are your subscriptions ?

Can you replicate the same behaviour in a new profile ? What if you remove all your subscriptions (not only disabling them) ?

you should add your comment here:
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/5284

Have you guys identified exactly what is causing this issue?
Perhaps something I can help with?
mariusica77

Post by mariusica77 »

Was solved in Adblock 2.9.1, so install that.
Details in https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/5298
lolcocks

Post by lolcocks »

It's still lagging from time to time, once after you start FireFox.