Not working anymore?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
jayjonbeach

Not working anymore?

Post by jayjonbeach »

Hi there. ABP has been a great great boon for internet use thank you! All of a sudden today, where I have done NO changes, FF did not update etc, it is not working anywhere, Yahoo, You tube etc?

Are others experiencing this?

It shows active on all pages, it is just not blocking anything?

TIA
jayjonbeach

Re: Not working anymore?

Post by jayjonbeach »

Not sure how, but it seems my ABP got corrupted or something. The last update was June 8, it stopped working today June 19.

I decided to restore a back-up from 2 days ago, and now it is blocking things again. It appears ALL my filter stuff was missing, the back up restored it.

Any ideas WHY this happened? I'm scared to let it update now, don't know if ABP is at fault, or something else never had this happen before.

Thoughts appreciated
jayjonbeach

Post by jayjonbeach »

It just happened again, lost ALL the filters, had to backup again. I downloaded a CD from a site that uses BCVC shortner, and maybe one of the pop ups is corrupting ABP somehow it seems

Wonder why this is happening so easily
Tinton3w

Post by Tinton3w »

I think I'm experiencing the same problem? Every time I reload Firefox (close and open it) it loses its filter subscriptions and I have to re-add EasyList. I'm not having the same problem in Chrome or Opera.
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

Same problem here with latest Adblock Plus update on Firefox 54.
Everytime i restart Firefox, all lists are gone. :(

BTW: Going back to Adblock Plus version 2.8.2 fixes the problem!
So there is definitely something fishy in the latest release. :idea:

[edit]
This happens on main PC with Win 7 pro 64 bit and also on notebook with Win 10 pro 64 bit.
On both systems i could fix this by going back to Adblock Plus version 2.8.2!
jayjonbeach

Post by jayjonbeach »

Yep, thing is totally flaky. I just restarted FF, and lost ALL the exceptions again. Have to back up every time. Can we get an ABP employee aware of this, and fixing it please?
BlockAllTheThings

Post by BlockAllTheThings »

On a couple of Win7 systems running Firefox 52.2.0 ESR, ABP 2.9.1, NoScript 5.0.5, and some other extensions (Multiprocess Windows disabled by addons, no syncing):

ABP appears to function properly (blocking confirmed, subscriptions visible in Filter Preferences, etc). Then, after some time and/or an unknown trigger:
  • It stops blocking things it should (serious)
  • Subscriptions are no longer visible in Filter Preferences
  • Custom filters are no longer visible in Filter Preferences
  • The filter rule panel on the right of Filter Preferences, which is normally expanded, is collapsed
Some ABP specific things:
  • Unchecked Allow some non-intrusive advertising
  • extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_autoupdate=false
  • extensions.adblockplus.notificationurl=https://localhost/blockedrequest (no server listening)
  • extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_fallbackurl=https://localhost/blockedrequest (no server listening)
  • extensions.adblockplus.patternsbackups=2
  • extensions.adblockplus.savestats=false
Restoring a previous backup solves the problem for a while, but then it eventually happens again (hours later, I think, with a browser restart in between pretty likely). I haven't been able to trigger the problem by restarting the browser or manually updating subscriptions.
jayjonbeach

Post by jayjonbeach »

Mine has mostly been behaving, no idea why seems pretty random, I did not do anything different. When it messes up, I just backup to older copy of ABP, it did it about 4 times in the last 2 weeks
Marco

Post by Marco »

No.
I am not having any problems.
As long as it fully restores, which it always does (Firefox/FEBE/redundant backups), you should be fine.
You should make sure to always update after the restore, though.
I don't recall that my updates are ever older than three days, depending on the filter.
Alduin's Khajiit

Post by Alduin's Khajiit »

Mine is not blocking anything either. Nothing at all is blocked.

It is funny that nobody from the admin team on this forums have said anything at all in this thread.
jayjonbeach

Post by jayjonbeach »

Thanks for the link, good to know a ticket has been opened, would be nice if they fixed it..... TLDR - Are they actually working on it? (seems there are only 2 people in discussion, and no option for me to add to it)

Mine is on the fritz again today, IIRC FF updated yesterday so I'm thinking this is why it is acting up today after a restart
jayjonbeach

Post by jayjonbeach »

Any word if Adblock is going to actually fix this? Acted up again today, this is a month old issue now, seems they are slacking
mapx

Post by mapx »

just follow that issue.

what's your name there (did you register an account on the bug tracker ? ) so I can add you.
Jess

Post by Jess »

Adblock has been excellent for years without any issue and now it is suddenly not working for me at all. I am using Firefox and have Adblock version 2.9.1 I am not tech savvy but that was never an issue before as Adblock just worked and I'd 'disable on this page only' whenever a site refused access while using it. For no obvious reason at all it has completely stopped working and the APB sign still shows on each page but is doing nothing :(

I would really like a SIMPLE fix...I'm just not able to deal with trying this then that then the other because it stresses me out and I rarely manage to fix a computer issue when following 'solutions' online as I rarely even understand the terminology or what they're even talking about lol. I liked Adblock because it was a simple download and then boom, it works :) Please fix this!