Block by IP / subnet mask

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
flup

Block by IP / subnet mask

Post by flup »

Seems like the advertising people are onto us, this might be the next stage in blocking ads. Besides, blocking entire subnets can be fun :)

I provide an example..

www.tkqlhce.com is an alias for cjtrack.valueclick.akadns.net.
cjtrack.valueclick.akadns.net has address 63.215.202.74
www.dpbolvw.net is an alias for cjtrack.valueclick.akadns.net.
cjtrack.valueclick.akadns.net has address 63.215.202.74

..and expect more of this to come.

Anyway, love the software thanks :)
Master X

Post by Master X »

This can only be achieved by a firewall/proxy, i think.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Let them keep coming. You figure that if 10% of the browsing population is using a Mozilla product with Adblock, they are going to try to maneuver around it ... try to catch the filter makers napping on the job.

The problem with ad companies is that they HAVE to identify themselves somehow in code. Once they tip their hand, though, the "cockroach" will be swatted.

Let them change their names or their directories or their scripting .... I love a new challenge :wink:

Oh, by the way:
*qksrv*
..might just take care of both of the above :)

EDIT:
If the above doesn't take care of it, then look to the common 'directory/structure" , grasshopper :wink:

Post by Guest »

www.tkqlhce.com
akadns.net
www.dpbolvw.net

hmm.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

@ Guest:

All I am getting is 'qksrv.jsp' which is blocked in my EasyList.

If you DO run into some of this with my list, please let me know and i will address it immediately .... thanx for the heads-up, though.
hxseven

Post by hxseven »

Hi @all,

a few weeks ago, I also found these obscure domains.

I made this filter to block them:

Code: Select all

/(qkimg|qksz|yceml|dpbolvw|anrdoezrs|tkqlhce|jdoqocy|tqlkg|kqzyfj|afcyhf|ftjcfx|awltovhc|lduhtrp)\.(com|net)/
have fun and block them :lol:
Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

I like the fact that hxseven put all the "odd ones" together in one string and is "done with it." Like that a lot! I used to have several in my filterset (commission junction, tkqlhce, qksrv, yceml, anrdoezrs, jdoqocy if memory serves) - but found I wasn't actually "hitting them" in the wild.

Remember that along with pagead/google, realmedia and many "clicks," one generic banner filter will catch a lot of them even though they're not mentioned specificially within that filter. "We're onto 'em" and if you're absolutely sure you want 'em blocked, hxseven seems to have them nailed especially with the combined com/net suffix - although Rick752's is pretty short and sweet too, and would kill a lot as well. Just add it to hsxseven's. Cool.

As a sidenote, this is also a neat way to look at the French "Optimizer" site, and hxseven's filter is a prime example of how sometimes "optimizing" really doesn't work and can in fact make the filter more unreadable:

hxseven's Original:
/(qkimg|qksz|yceml|dpbolvw|anrdoezrs|tkqlhce|jdoqocy|tqlkg|kqzyfj|afcyhf|ftjcfx|awltovhc|lduhtrp)\.(com|net)/

FR Optimize:
/a(fcyhf|nrdoezrs|wltovhc)|qk(img|sz)|t(kqlhce|qlkg)|dpbolvw|ftjcfx|jdoqocy|kqzyfj|lduhtrp|yceml/

Paul's Version w/Rick's qksrv, applicable to commission junction only, taken right from their page:
/anrdoezrs|dpbolvw|jdoqocy|kqzyfj|qksrv|tkqlhce/

(I have added mine to my filterset and will see if I get any hits over next 48 hours; I remember other of my filters "replacing" the need).

As you can see there's not much difference - hxseven probably "amended" the original as new terms were found - good. The French optimizer site will take ANY reason to jumble letters together, not saving many at all, but makes editing or appending more difficult. I would probably just alphabetize, but saw there were a couple with common first letters, so "parenthese'd" them out . . . it doesn't gain you much at all. You could also shorten out the common "s" 's for qksrv and qksz, but that makes it more unreadable. The spellings of the sites are that "weird" that I eliminated com/net - might experiment with adding that as well.

God I love this stuff . . . .
Master X

Post by Master X »

hxseven has created a nice filterset generator! I haven't seen anything similar until now. I think we need a topic about filterlists ;)
Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

Yes, Master X - I agree - that "generator" gives you what you want to any degree/level you want it . . . short and sweet or more detailed (I haven't actually looked at the filters yet) . . . .

I've tried several times to "breathe life" into the adjacent forum on here regarding filters - but I think most folks are "happy with the norm" and not as interested in actually crafting better ones (except all of us good-lookin' folks on this thread!) - maybe now more of us are "into it" we can get something going. That would be good. mcm used to have it "going on" and helped a great many including me.

I think in the end it's a matter of poeple mixing & matching what works for them to achieve "efficient lists" for their surfing habits, possibly combining elements of several of the lists available (4 of us in this thread alone!). Problem is, most can't be bothered and especially when it comes to "crafting" new ones.

By the way - you might all want to add these to the "oddities list:"

kuhj
kontera
commission-junction (be sure and use the hyphen)
qmov
qnsr

These ARE on Filterset P, and DO get hits/block ads.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Paulfox wrote: I've tried several times to "breathe life" into the adjacent forum on here regarding filters - but I think most folks are "happy with the norm" and not as interested in actually crafting better ones (except all of us good-lookin' folks on this thread!)

I think in the end it's a matter of poeple mixing & matching what works for them to achieve "efficient lists" for their surfing habits, possibly combining elements of several of the lists available (4 of us in this thread alone!). Problem is, most can't be bothered and especially when it comes to "crafting" new ones.
I think not having a lot of filter activity in this forum (or mine either) is a TRIBUTE to all of us who worked to build these lists to give people a very nice starting point with no work at all. The international nature of the different filter makers optimizing for their particular country/language along with the versatality of the new Adblock 0.7 is the perfect match it seems.

Folks can now enable/disable/whitelist and have their OWN additions (seperately) like they never could before. I have made a filterlist to basically address the worldwide distributed ads and English-speaking US market ads. Others of you have added the worldwide ones, but have added strings more targeted for French, Finnish, German, etc, sites. People can choose by locations or can "mix and match" subscriptions and use them as they like. They can also add and whitelist their own filter without too much trouble ... and I think people LIKE having control over their filtering. I think that this is a VERY good way of marketing a product.

The lack of questions and comments (at least on this end) seems to mean we have done a very good job at this. When things work good, you never hear anything :)

So, CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL YOU GUYS!
... for what seems to be a job well done so far 8) :D
hxseven

Post by hxseven »

I agree with Paulfox and rick752 :-)

Filtersets rule !!! :mrgreen:

@Master X: Thanks for the nice feedback :-)

Thanks to all filterset creators (filterset g, p, x and easylist)!

BTW: Feedback on my Adblock Filterset Generator is desired ;-).
And I wanted to say that all the filters used in my Filterset generator
are made by me. I did not copy them
from another list. I collected them over a few months of surfing...

Jonas