Actions with filter rules result in high CPU and memory load

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
RoDen

Actions with filter rules result in high CPU and memory load

Post by RoDen »

After upgrading to the latest Firefox and Adblock Plus I've got the following problem. Any action (adding/deleting, editing, cutting/pasting, enabling/disabling) on filter rules results in high CPU utilization (25/50% for quad-core and dual-core processors respectively) and memory load (+ 150-250MB) for a number of seconds (depending on CPU). The problem appears even on freshly installed OS (Windows XP SP3 32-bit) with Firefox v52.2.1 (32-bit) and Adblock Plus v2.9.1 with no Internet connection, I was just toggling a filter rule on and off.

I checked another PC with Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Firefox v19.0 and Adblock Plus v2.6.3.1 and the problem is not there. The CPU utilization jumps ~40% (dual-core processor) very briefly (for a second or less) and memory utilization is up ~30MB. So, it's either Firefox or Adblock Plus causing the problem.

If you create custom filter rules on an old PC frequently, the problem is really annoying, as Firefox freezes for a couple of seconds every time a new rule is added.

Everything else is working fine.

By the way, is Windows XP SP3 still supported?
mapx

Re: Actions with filter rules result in high CPU and memory load

Post by mapx »

There are some issues with the current storage implementation (preparing the new webext ABP - as required by mozilla). I get your same behaviour.

For old systems you should try uBo => https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ck-origin/
RoDen

Re: Actions with filter rules result in high CPU and memory load

Post by RoDen »

Thanks for the information. I've tested uBlock Origin and experienced no problems with rules creation/editing/deleting so far.

Hope they would fix Adblock Plus soon. But I'm not sure that I would switch back. Nevertheless it was a very useful and convenient add-on. Good luck!