ABP severely impacts Firefox performance on ASUS 2 in 1

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
jano_rajmond

ABP severely impacts Firefox performance on ASUS 2 in 1

Post by jano_rajmond »

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

When ABP is installed on Firefox on ASUS 2 in 1, the browser is much slower to start (loading time about triples) and then once the browser has started it is perfectly operational for 3-5 seconds, after which it hangs for about 5-8 seconds, so much so that Windows puts it in a [Not Responding] state. After the 5-8 seconds expire, the browser is responsive again, however pages are much slower to load and autocomplete predictions in the URL bar also seem to intermitently hang.

The problem is definetly ABP. I have installed ABP immediately after browser installation when I got my 2 in 1. Due to the above problems, not realising that ABP was slowing the browser down, I have "Reset" Windows 10. After the reset I did not have time for a week to install ABD and used Firefox without it. Everything worked fine and I was happy that the "Reset"" worked. Today, while doing a "speedtest.net" I've seen the page full of ads and realised I had forgotten to install ABP. The minute I installed ABP the 2 in 1 was back to its old and sluggish behavior. This is so annoying that I even returned the 2 GB RAM version of the ASUS 2 in 1 and upgraded it to the 4 GB version, being convinced that the performance issues were due to lacking RAM.

Now, after seeing that ABP was at fault I have uninstalled it from Firefox and everything is running smoothly (browser wise). Reinstalled it, everything is back to hanging and laging. Uninstalled it, everything is fne. So it's most definetly ABP.

This means that since I installed ABP almost by reflex, you guys had me upgrade to the 4 GB version of the 2 in 1 for nothing. You owe me $50 :D

Anyways, on a serious note:

System:
1. Laptop 2 in 1 ASUS T101HA-GR030T, Intel® Quad-Core Atom™ x5-Z8350 1.44GHz, 10.1", 4GB RAM, 128GB eMMC, Intel® HD Graphics
or
2. Laptop 2 in 1 ASUS T101HA-GR004T, Intel® Quad-Core Atom™ x5-Z8350 1.44GHz, 10.1", 2GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, Intel® HD Graphics

Browser:
1. Mozilla Firefox 54.0.1 (x64)
or
2. Mozilla Firefox 54.0.0 (x86)

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 1703 (build 15063.413)

The issue reproduces with both systems and both browsers above.

Good luck in sorting it out.

Will return with a follow up if it reproduces in Chrome as well.
jano_rajmond

Re: ABP severely impacts Firefox performance on ASUS 2 in 1

Post by jano_rajmond »

Nope. Installed Chrome on the same system on which I have tested and reported the Firefox behavior from and in Chrome the behavior does not reproduce.
Although I have been devoted to Firefox right from the get go it seems that I will have to use Chrome on this system.

However, I do hope you guys can sort it out. On a side note, the reported issue does not appear on my 17" ASUS i7 system running Windows 10 Pro on the same version of Firefox.
karder

Re: ABP severely impacts Firefox performance on ASUS 2 in 1

Post by karder »

If you find a solution to this problem, then please unsubscribe to the topic.