Deploy a filterlist over domain network

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
djwilec

Deploy a filterlist over domain network

Post by djwilec »

Hello,

i'm using adblockplus 2.8.2 in my windows domain network. Now, i'm deploying the patterns.ini for my filter subscriptions over the NETLOGON directory and have adjusted the adblockplus preferences per autoconfig for Firefox.

But the patterns.ini doesn't work in adblockplus 2.9.1, the storage of filterlists has changed. (releases/adblock-plus-29-for-firefox-released

In the new version, how can i deploy filter subscriptions for all users simultaneously ?

Best regards
Tobias
Last edited by djwilec on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wladimir Palant

Re: Deploy a filterlist over domain netzwork

Post by Wladimir Palant »

If I understand correctly, you are replacing the file while Firefox isn't running. Then you should be deploying browser-extension-data/{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}/storage.js file, this one contains Adblock Plus filters now. Note that it's quite likely that Mozilla will change the file format in future, so the file name will change again.
djwilec

Post by djwilec »

but what is with the directive in about:config "extensions.adblockplus.patternsfile;C:\Users\Public\Documents\Mozilla\patterns.ini".

In the patterns.ini, i think, there are the filter subscriptions too?? I depoly the patterns.ini at system start via machine GPO. So all users on the machine use the same filter preferences. Firefox is configured for all users equal with lockPrefs...

But the storage.js is in the user folder of each user? not in the program\firefox directory, right?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

We can no longer control the storage location, it's always the browser-extension-date folder in the user's Firefox profile. So if you still want to replicate all of the data, things are getting quite a bit more complicated. One option that I can think of is making {d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d} folder a junction pointing to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Mozilla, then you will be able to modify contents easily. How this junction is created is another question, you could probably create a script for that.