Filters getting deleted

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
marczi

Post by marczi »

OK. Then I stay with RC1 and will use this debug version for a few months. Thanks for your efforts.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Thanks, I hope that helps finding out what goes on. Btw, the latest report on this issue was about Firefox 2.0 RC1.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Wladimir Palant wrote:(c:\adblockplus.log on Windows or /adblockplus.log on *ix, you might need to give Firefox write permissions)
This isn't a very useful comment, but Why not put it in your profile (you've got that whole 'adblockplus' directory with just patterns*.ini in it) or at least a temp directory or something?
Matt Nordhoff
Wladimir Palant

Because the logging starts before profile is available or even selected. I would put it into the user's home directory but I'm not sure %HOME% always has a meaningful value on Windows (or rather - I'm pretty sure it doesn't).
marczi

Post by marczi »

Although, %HOME% has no default value on Windows, but %USERPROFILE% always points to the home directory of the current Windows user, example: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
Wladimir Palant

I'm not really using environment variables but rather Gecko's directory service. And there is some documentation saying that the value for "Home" is bound to the HOME environment variable, though this might be worth testing.
Morrigan

Post by Morrigan »

Same thing happend to me again yesterday. all my filtersets and subscribtions gone.

Firefox 1.5.0.7 on Mac OS X 10.4.7

Extentions:

Downthemall 0.9.9.7
Unplug 1.4.1
Bugmenot 1.3
Adblock plus 0.7.1.2

i have been thinking. could it be some sort of hostile script that "nukes' the filtersets of ablock plus?

because ive seen some sites that can detect if a user has adblocking software enabled. so maybe some ad company found an exploit?

ive installed NoScript to see if the filter deleting stops. [/list]
Wladimir Palant

No, I don't think we have any security hole in the extensions, so the web sites shouldn't have an influence on this. If you want to help me fix this problem - please follow the instructions in http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6767#6767
Peng

Post by Peng »

Morrigan wrote:... ive seen some sites that can detect if a user has adblocking software enabled. so maybe some ad company found an exploit?
They aren't actually detecting that Adblock Plus is installed, they're just detecting that the ad elements are not present or are invisible.

(Yeah, yeah, replying to a week-old post, but I haven't checked the forum in a while.)
Matt Nordhoff
R 2 da I 2 da C 2 Da O

Post by R 2 da I 2 da C 2 Da O »

:roll: Ugh....Im at school and i cant break the firewall.....WTF????????