Every few days all my filters are gone

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Debresser

Every few days all my filters are gone

Post by Debresser »

B"H

Hello all

Every few days I see adds reappearing, and when I check the Adblock Plus settings, all my filers are gone, simply no filers any more. How can that be explained?

I run a Windows 7 OS with Firefox 54.0.1 and Adblock Plus 2.9.1 with EasyList filters for English, Dutch, Hebrew and Russian.

Sincerely, Dovid.
mapx

Re: Every few days all my filters are gone

Post by mapx »

reset firefox, reinstall ABP
Debresser

Post by Debresser »

mapx wrote:reset firefox, reinstall ABP
I that a specific reply or a generic one? Resetting Firefox is not something I would be happy to do, since I value Firefox remembering pages I visited and my passwords. Any ideas what may be wrong?
mapx

Post by mapx »

Save your bookmarks / passwords (better sync them), then just reset FF and reinstall ABP. It's probably a corrupt profile in FF.
OnThePike

Post by OnThePike »

The same issue was happening to me, and was the reason I initially came to this forum. I couldn't find an exact answer, so instead I used the functionality of the ABP interface to restore a previous backup then create my own backups once every week, or after I made significant element hiding entries.

To restore is a simple and straightforward effort. Just open the main ABP window and locate the "Backup and Restore" pull-down-menu button on the lower left corner of the window and restore the latest .ini file which contains your most recent updates. Upon restoration, your lists will update and you might experience a lag while connections are being made. Once you've restored and have updated, you can make a backup of the file for later use, if needed.

I have no idea why this happens, but it happened to me every time I opened a new FF window after restarting my machine for about a week last month. I backed up and restored a few times, and since then, it hasn't happened again. And even though ABP creates daily backups, I still make sure I create my own backup whenever I make changes to the file.
gmaria

Post by gmaria »

I'm having the same issue. It started sometime in the past month. I'm having the exact same issue on my home and work computers on firefox, so it doesn't seem to be just a corrupt installation. I've been using the same workaround - creating back-ups every day. Hope this gets resolved soon!
mapx

Post by mapx »