blocked ad, whole site blocked

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Ormandy

blocked ad, whole site blocked

Post by Ormandy »

I've had Adblock Plus for a long time. I was getting no ads on Youtube until recently. Ads started to appear, which Youtube allows you to delete, with the option of not seeing that ad again. However, there is always a new ad to remove. So I used Adblock Plus, which offered option to block ad, or to block the frame. I chose to block the frame because I thought that would end the ads at that location. But instead, Youtube is now a blank page. I found no option to undo this block. The only option I found on Adblock Plus was to disable Adblock on Youtube. Now I get the ads again, and enabling Adblock disables Youtube. How can I block the ads without blocking Youtube?
mapx

Re: blocked ad, whole site blocked

Post by mapx »

If you have ABP 2.9.1 ==> click ABP icon, filter preferences, "custom filters" tab ==> remove the wrong filter from the right panel (enable the right panel using CTRL-R key combination)
If you have the new beta version, click ABP icon, options, "add your own filters" tab ==> remove the wrong filter.

Which is the filter you did create ?
Are you using the acceptable ads ?
Example video link with such new ads ?
Ormandy

Post by Ormandy »

I tried to follow your instruction, but failed to correct problem. I can't get Youtube to appear. Would you be very specific about each step?

"Which is the filter you did create ?"

Under "filter preferences, right panel, it shows "||youtube.com^
That is the only listing. On the left panel under "filter subscriptions" it says I've added no filters."

"Are you using the acceptable ads ?" I have not allowed any ads.

"Example video link with such new ads ?" I don't know what this means.

I tried checking "disable on youtube.com", but the site still won't appear.
mapx

Post by mapx »

I asked an example video where you get those ads. Post the link !

Then remove this wrong filter:

Code: Select all

||youtube.com^
Don't use other blocking addons. Only ABP.
Ormandy

Post by Ormandy »

"I asked an example video where you get those ads. Post the link !"

I can't do that because now I can't get any videos. Youtube is blank and I don't know how to get it back.

Also, I'm technically stupid.
mapx

Post by mapx »

You said above you saw that filter. Click that row (with that filter) and just delete it.
Ormandy

Post by Ormandy »

"You said above you saw that filter. Click that row (with that filter) and just delete it."

Thanks, got it. I had only unchecked it before, and it was still there.

I got Youtube back, I had to open it in a new window.

I now have Adblock fully enabled, no "disable" is checked now.
But the ads are still coming. When I right click the ads that appear at right under a video
sometimes there is no "copy link location" option. Here's one that has:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... 6_agid%3D0
mapx

Post by mapx »

To post an image you have to upload it at imgur.com and post here the image link.
However, I asked you to post the video link, not the advertising link.

You should check another thing:

- click ABP icon, filter preferences, "filter subscriptions" tab. Do you see there "easylist" enabled ? Are you seeing some error (in red) under the subscription ?
- at the bottom of the same panel (filter subscriptions", you can see "allow some non intrusive advertising", is it selected ?
Ormandy

Post by Ormandy »

"click ABP icon, filter preferences, "filter subscriptions" tab. Do you see there "easylist" enabled ? Are you seeing some error (in red) under the subscription ?"

No, I see nothing like that. Left Panel shows no filter subscriptions, right panel says I need to select a filter group, but there are none.

"- at the bottom of the same panel (filter subscriptions", you can see "allow some non intrusive advertising", is it selected ?"

No.

Under "custom filters", both "ad blocking rules" and "exception rules" are checked. In right panel, "the selected group is empty"

At https://www.youtube.com/ itself, there is an ad at the top pf the page.

Here is a video with an ad on the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIf8iK5Jzo

Here is a video with an ad at the right under the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM_HPAXwJFw
mapx

Post by mapx »

IF you don't see easylist then go again into filter preferences, filter subscriptions, click "add filter subscriptions" and add easylist.
If you get an error or under easylist subscription you see an error in red, go to:
http://axistrivia.altervista.org/easy.html

and subscribe easylist.

Test again.
Ormandy

Post by Ormandy »

Thanks, I added EasyList, I now see no ads on the pages I listed.

Then I went to https://easylist.to/ and tried to add EasyPrivacy, but the box that comes up says I haven't added EasyList yet, must add that first. Why is this?
mapx

Post by mapx »

just confirm and add the list then check again the filter subscriptions and remove 1 of the easylist lists (if you see 2 of them)
it seems to be an error
Ormandy

Post by Ormandy »

Thanks, looks good now.