Adblock dramatically slow down firefox start

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Jára

Adblock dramatically slow down firefox start

Post by Jára »

Before while something happen.

When I click on Firefox icon, it does not run immediatelly but it takes several minutes. When I look at task manager, the firefox.exe slowly increases memory consumption. When it reaches say 300MB, the Firefox window is opened.

If I disable Adblock this situation does not happen. Firefox opens immediatelly.

I Erased all Adblock rules and I use only my own rule set only. It improved startup time - to several seconds.
I have used adblock many years, and now it become practically useless.

Do you have any idea what happens inside?
mapx

Re: Adblock dramatically slow down firefox start

Post by mapx »

Did you try the last beta version ? (which will be the official version from FF 57)
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... sions/beta
Jára

Post by Jára »

mapx wrote:Did you try the last beta version ? (which will be the official version from FF 57)
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... sions/beta
Thank you very much for this hint. The "Version 2.99.0.1900beta" is a little bit better but there is still notable unpleasant delay between clicking on Firefox icon and opening Firefox Window.

The uBlock has no observable delay when firefox starts. It it is not get fixed, I have to disable adblock.

Could you be so kind and tell me what a complex task is doing? I have fast SSD drive and hexacore CPU and what the hell might computer do for 30seconds. Anyway, CPU load do not go over 20%.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Did you try ABP (beta) but using FF 57 ?

I'm not a developer so I cannot tell you why that delay.
Jára

Post by Jára »

mapx wrote:Did you try ABP (beta) but using FF 57 ? I'm not a developer so I cannot tell you why that delay.
I currently cannot upgrade higher that 52.4.0. I am primary using XP. When I try to boot to Win7 or Linux partition it will not contain my browsing history so the situation will be significantly different. May be that I can attempt to reproduce to copy contents of profile to another partition
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.\Data aplikací\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\r6ww736y.default-1436633965906"\" - but it is rather hacking.

I hope that there is some standard Java based language for plugins that does not change version to version FF too much.

Very bad startup delays are generally caused by internet communication after application starts. When this communication has lags, it stops application for some while. It can be overcomed by multithreading anyway. I do not know whether it is a case and adblock attempts to actualise whatever.
Jára

Post by Jára »

I have sniffed all Firefox file traffic. Even when I upgraded adblock to beta situation does not improve too much.
Look at here: http://78.108.103.11/~fojtik/AdBlock/FirefoxStartup.log
As you could note, Adblock decreases Firefox startup time for more than one minute again.

PS: I cannot add attachment, so the log is placed on a different place.
mapx

Post by mapx »

You can report your findings on the bug tracker
https://issues.adblockplus.org
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

You will need to use the current version of ABP (soon to be "an old version") on Windows XP, because Firefox 52 ESR is the last version of Firefox supported on XP, and Firefox 52 does not support WebExtensions (the only kind of extension supported by Firefox 57).

The core of Firefox extensions, from the beginning, has been HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (which, despite the name, is not a Java-based language); there are substantial architectural differences between the original XUL-based extensions, the once-new Add-On SDK (Jetpack) extensions, and WebExtensions (designed to work similarly to how Chrome extensions are developed), so non-trivial work is needed to convert an extension from one architecture to a later one, and many hooks into the browser that XUL-based extensions could use are impossible with WebExtensions (but as a tradeoff, WebExtensions won't jeopardize the stability of the browser, and the obsoletion of both XUL and Jetpack allows Firefox to run in multiprocess mode).

I hope that your browsing experience in Linux and Windows 7, with the beta versions (soon to be stable) of Firefox 57 and ABP, is much faster and more responsive.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.