How to see what's blocked on page

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
nomad

How to see what's blocked on page

Post by nomad »

There is no way to view and [effectively] block elements on the page.

Steps to reproduce: F12 -> Adblock Plus -> you can only add or remove the whole thing, no option to edit that I can see.
mapx

Re: No way to view and block elemants on page

Post by mapx »

yes, for now you can only block the request then go into options (settings), advanced, and edit there your filter
pintosal

Post by pintosal »

Yes, but compared to older versions, this filter edit is completely useless.

No way to find or sort.

A truly backward step.
mapx

Post by mapx »

more about ABP 3 (the old one and all of its features - including EHH - are not anymore possibile due to the new webextension system from mozilla)
forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54389
pintosal

Reverting to Pre-Quantum Firefox

Post by pintosal »

Adblock is/was the most valuable tool with the Firefox browser.

Pre-Quantum ABP was brilliant for its ability to create and modify filters, but it seems that it's impossible to replicate the functionality on Quantum.

I've therefore decided to revert to the last version of Firefox prior to Quantum, and use a functional version of ABP - and also Classic Theme Restorer.
Marco

Post by Marco »

mapx wrote:yes, for now you can only block the request then go into options (settings), advanced, and edit there your filter
FF Quantum/57.0
ABP 3.0.1

mapx,

I came on because element hide completely disappeared from the ABP icon.
After reading a little bit here, I checked again, and it's now visible.
Yesterday, the ABP icon disappeared altogether.
I think I refreshed FF to get it back.

I guess this is a work in progress???

Onto your post - I've never actually used the EHH since the new FF version, but I believe that I peaked at it last week sometime and there was actually text in the box.

For someone not at all versed in writing filters, or writing anything other than code to make comments BOLD, Italicized, or struck-through, can you flesh out the editing instructions you mention above?
After clicking on an element, do you just cut and paste whatever is in the box into ABP/Advanced (settings)?

Thank you.
mapx

Re: No way to view and block elements on page

Post by mapx »

1. simulate the old EHH:
- click ABP icon, click "block element", select something on screen, in the opened window you'll see a filter (or more), edit them, confirm
- if you get an empty window install the last beta build of ABP

2. simulate the old "blockable items list"

- click F12, click adblockplus tab, refresh the page
- you'll get the list of all elements
- on the right you can see "block item" or "add exception", click it => a filter will be created in your custom filters
- to see it / edit it: click ABP icon, options, advanced, "my filters list", edit the filters
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

mapx wrote:2. simulate the old "blockable items list"

- click F12, click adblockplus tab, refresh the page
- you'll get the list of all elements
- on the right you can see "block item" or "add exception", click it => a filter will be created in your custom filters
- to see it / edit it: click ABP icon, options, advanced, "my filters list", edit the filters
That doesn't appear to work for me, there's never anything listed on the Adblock tab.
mapx

Post by mapx »

click F12, click adblockplus tab, refresh the page
blahartabp

Re: How to see what's blocked on page

Post by blahartabp »

How do I get to f12 key? I do do not see the function keys on the virtual key board on my android device
mapx

Post by mapx »

I have no idea if on android is available this functionality.
I'll try to contact a developer.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

blahartabp wrote:How do I get to f12 key? I do do not see the function keys on the virtual key board on my android device
In case you simply want to see the list of requests on Firefox for Android or Adblock Browser for Android, you can connect your device to your computer (there are instructions on how to do that over USB and over WiFi) to access the Firefox developer tools window. There you can inspect the page and see what requests have been made.

Unfortunately, the Adblock Plus developer tools panel doesn't show up in that window, unlike on desktop.
Zephy

Post by Zephy »

HI,

I would like to be able to see what is blocked, but F12 isn't going to help. I have an older mac, by default F12 is a volume key. I really miss the "show blockable items". The all or nothing approach doesn't really work for me. Will this ever be made as elegant as it was? I don't want to spend my time tinkering with the filters, adding and subtracting things and generally be expected to know some programing before the program will work for me.

Zephy
mapx

Post by mapx »

I guess you use FF >= 57. Just right click on page, inspect element, then like above.
bobi

Post by bobi »

i have this problem too. i think f12 reserved as hotkey for another extention.