Oversize adblockplus directory (possibly)

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
tingo

Oversize adblockplus directory (possibly)

Post by tingo »

The size of my Firefox Profile is ≈ 500Mb. The Adblockplus directory inside of it fills ≈ 200Mb, which seems quite large (in my partner's Profile it's only ≈ 30Mb). I suspect it of contributing to Firefox being slow launching and browsing.

Would it be sensible to do a clean up, and how should I proceed?

Thanks,
mapx

Re: Oversize adblockplus directory (possibly)

Post by mapx »

Could be there are the backups of the old version (2.9.1)
The new ABP has no backups, so you could delete manually the backups of patterns.ini and if does not help reset firefox (or reinstall it) and reinstall ABP
tingo

Post by tingo »

Thanks a lot. My version is 2.8.2, which as far as I can see (but correct me if I'm wrong) is the last one that will work with Fx 45.9 ESR (which in turn is the version I'm stuck with in my operative system — don't ask!). And yes, there's a whole bunch of patterns.ini. in there, some going back to 2012. I'll try deleting them, but before that: there's also a file called cache.js — should I erase it too?
mapx

Post by mapx »

- delete only patterns.ini backups
- you could also go into about:config, search extensions.adblockplus.patternsbackups and change the value from 5 to 1 or 0
tingo

Post by tingo »

Excellent, have done, once again many thanks. Btw, the cache.js file is also ancient, from June 2012. If it must be kept, is there a way to refresh it?