blocking js

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
HOW

blocking js

Post by HOW »

I know that the folks at adblock plus work tirelessly to make the program perfeck, and I do thank you for that.

But recently I have run into a problem, because I am basically pretty stupid.

In the past when I came upon a JS that was messing with Firefox, I could exclude that JS using ABP and all was well and dandy. I would click the ABP stopsign in my tool bar and be able to navigate to my blocked items and basically copy or fool around with examples of blocked items until I was able to actually block the dreaded JS so I could move on with my day. (what I am saying is I am too dumb to remember how I blocked a JS in the past and look to the current blocks in ABP in order to use the proper symbols and etc.)

The scoundrel who produces all the nasty JS that ruins my day is xxxBay. A mega corporation who I am sure despises ABP.

With the new configuration to ABP, I am unable to figure out how I might access my past custom blocks or where and how I might enter a new one. The script I need to Bock is something like ab.xxx.com/f/f/t-js-1234.js:7
I actually have about 4 xxx scripts blocked at this time thru ABP. thank you.
I am afraid to list the actual well known name, because I would assume they have all kinds of bots searching the webs to find any mention of their dirty dealings. And someone asking how to block their nasty JS would alert them. But since I am unable to figure out how to use ABP on my own anymore, I am hoping this missive will quietly go to the dust heaps of the way back machine as quickly as it is answered.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by HOW on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mapx

Re: blocking js

Post by mapx »

HOW

Post by HOW »

thank you mapx, I was able to edit filters thru the "my filter list", thank you.
I found the filter I had before: something like:
"@@}||t-js-1234.js:7"
I actually thought that I had a couple of filters like this one blocking js from this site. (the url I'm trying to block is ab.xxx.com/f/f/t-js-1234.js:7, that hasn't changed, but something in my filtes list either magically changed, or somehow that I can't imagine, I clicked to allow it to be changed.
I know that folks are not allowed to help write a filter here. But I am stymied. The above filter did work at one time and now doesn't.
I added a new filter by dropping the bracket }, I don't see that in other filters and don't remember ever using it.
"@@||t-js-1234.js:7"
that did not work. I am unsure what I am doing wrong. Is there a even any way to block a js?
I then removed the above filter and tried "t-js-1234.js:7|"and that didn't work.

Is it possible that the site is doing something screwy, like writing a js script that generates the dreaded js I am trying to block, and what I need to do is block that originator script, if that makes sense?

I finally got fed up and added the entire URL of the script (https: //ab.xxx.com/f/f/t-js-1234.js:7)
I know I tried that a year ago, and like before, that also did not work.
I thought that entering an entire URL would be an absolute block?

Maybe I just need to go thru and try every possible combination (I think that is what I did a year ago) until something works.
Any ideas? I lost the link to the tutorial on creating your own custom filters.
mapx

Post by mapx »

this filter is not blocking, on the ontrary => is whitelisting !

Code: Select all

@@||t-js-1234.js:7
to block it:

Code: Select all

*t-js-1234.js
about filters
en/filters