Random ad names

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
roadrunner

Random ad names

Post by roadrunner »

A site I visit has numerous, overwhelming ads. The ads are identified by what seems to be random numbers generated within the site's own software. As in: example.com##.jjuyizt.
These names change each time the site is visited, so a block of that specific name won't work next time. Can I write a rule with wildcards to cover the random names? Where is a list of rules for wildcards that I can study?

RR :?
mapx

Re: Random ad names

Post by mapx »

provide a real example.
roadrunner

Post by roadrunner »

So sorry, your own statements say that you cannot issue specific adblock filters due to legal issues:

"ABP forum does not deal with filter issues

Postby mapx » Fri May 05, 2017 6:19 pm
We are not covering (...anymore) site-specific filter questions in the Adblock Plus forum"

So I can't paste a real example. What I'm showing is a substituted name for what shows up in the Adblock rule window.

RR
mapx

Post by mapx »

if it's about ads you can post it.
roadrunner

Post by roadrunner »

gocomics.com##.wzvofamyi

That's what the Adblock shows as an identifier for that particular ad.
The next time this shows up, the suffix letters .wzvofamyl are changed to something else, randomly generated, so a blocker for that specific ad won't work. There must be a way of using a wildcard. I've tried several, but what I get is "invalid character" so my syntax is not correct. Merely adding * after the com## doesn't work.

I must be missing something, probably critical to my understanding of the way Adblock works, relating to how to write my own rules. I would appreciate your help in understanding what I'm doing wrong.

RR
mapx

Post by mapx »

Where are you seeing ads ?

For example, on this page:

Code: Select all

http://www.gocomics.com/luann
Do you see ads ? if yes => upload screenshot (use imgur.com, post here the image link)