ABP Icon Weirdness

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Hubird

ABP Icon Weirdness

Post by Hubird »

I have ABP set to only display it's icon in the status bar but for a fraction of a second when I first start Firefox the ABP icon also appears in the toolbar then disappears. I have never noticed this before and was wondering why it does it (I'm fairly certain it only recently started doing this).

ABP 1.3a.20100520
Firefox 3.6.3

EDIT:

In Minefield using the same ABP build the icon is present in the toolbar even though it should not be.

nitrox

Re: ABP Icon Weirdness

Post by nitrox »

It occurs for me with Firefox 3.6.4 as well. Started to do this when Element hiding breaked up. I also have ABP icon only on status bar.
Fanboy list Co-Maintainer

Fanboy Adblock List's

Fanboy List Forum
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Confirmed I'm seeing this too in the toolbar. What it did with me is when I unchecked 'show in toolbar' it went away. Then when I restarted Firefox it was there again and the check was still not there by 'show in toolbar'. So it did disappear but was back when restarted. I didn't try the status bar one yet.

Edit: yep same thing with the status bar icon. And it functions and everything, even though it's not suppose to be there.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Thank you for reporting this - the brief flashing of the toolbar icon it is a side-effect of the changed initialization sequence, something I wasn't aware of. It should go away "by itself" further along towards 1.3. I've put it on my TO DO list however so that I check it again before release.

The issue you are seeing in Minefield surprises me however, for me the toolbar icon definitely disappears when the option is unchecked (and stays this way after restart). Are you still seeing it with the latest Minefield build? Which operating system?
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

My Minfield was probably a couple of days old. I just updated to the latest release (which is unusable again due to the messed up menus / glass effect issues coming back) and the issue remains.

However I may be able to point you in the right direction as to the cause of the issue...

I use an add-on called "better privacy" to delete my flash cookies. This add is not ready for Minefield yet (an error message appears every time I start minefield with it enabled). The "sticky icon" problem seems to happen every time better privacy is enabled and go away when I disable it.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I don't currently have better privacy installed and I still see this. On another note, it does disappear after I visit a web page or pull up add-ons manager. The home page I have set is blank. So maybe this has something to do with it? I visit any website and it disappears as it's suppose to be, but it's there when I first open Firefox. strange. I did disable most other add-ons. Going to try to disable EHH to see if that is the issue.

Edit: no EHH didn't seem to matter if it was enabled or not.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

IceDogg - got it, you are using a blank page as homepage. Thanks, I can reproduce now.

PS: This should fix all issues: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/76a6596d6575
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Glad I could help. Thanks for your work on fixing it.