why are filter subscriptions divided by language?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
maybee

why are filter subscriptions divided by language?

Post by maybee »

why are filter subscriptions divided by language? :D
example
easylist - english
Filter von MonztA - Deutsch
Wladimir Palant

Re: why are filter subscriptions divided by language?

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Do you have other suggestions? How else are users supposed to decide which filter subscription is good for them?
maybee

Post by maybee »

no suggestions.
it could be didived by nation. but now It's divided by language.
So I was just curious about it.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

It was categorized by country before - but that made no sense with subscriptions like EasyList or Fanboy's List focusing on USA, GB, Canada and Australia or with Filter von Dr.Evil covering Germany and Austria. Language seems to be more relevant than country.
Michael

Post by Michael »

The reason why language is often more relevant for indications of subscription coverage is that people who understand English can also read, for example, American English, Canadian English and Australian English, and that users based in any arbitrary country could therefore visit any comprehensible website, regardless of the origins.

Post by Guest »

maybee wrote:why are filter subscriptions divided by language? :D
example
easylist - english
Filter von MonztA - Deutsch
so that advertisers won't notice that their ads are hidden, b coz they test w/easylist :) :) :)
mele

Post by mele »

Hello,

I'm coming directly from a discussion about this matter over easylist forum.
People around the world, especially in the internet era using their OS & Browser in English; this means lost of users missing their native-language filter lists by default and are exposed to ads on website in their native-language.

For example, I've noticed that ynet.co.il, mako.co.il and themarker.co.il have some anti-adblock scripts on their website for a few weeks now; apparently the Hebrew list handle it pretty fast but I wasn't aware to the update since my browser is in English and I didn't receive those specific domain filters.

Please consider to combine both browser language preference and user origin for the filter lists match.

Thanks
mele

Post by mele »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Do you have other suggestions? How else are users supposed to decide which filter subscription is good for them?
I'm pretty sure that the majority of ABP users ain't tech-savvy anymore since the extension made it's way to the mass audience in the past couple of years.
People adding the extension by themselves or with the help of someone and not touching the preference and option from this point forward.

I don't see any reason or logic way a user from Germany with an English browser shouldn't have a German list as well as most of the websites he's going to browse will be in the German language.
Combining both location and language preference should be the most effective way to fight ads and anti-adblock companies.

The fact you updated the way you are handling Element hiding rules in Firefox (and hopefully Chrome in the future) will make the lists lighter on the user's browser.

Michael wrote:The reason why language is often more relevant for indications of subscription coverage is that people who understand English can also read, for example, American English, Canadian English and Australian English, and that users based in any arbitrary country could therefore visit any comprehensible website, regardless of the origins.
There is no need to create separated list for each country but to attach specific filter lists for user whom located in countries where additional list is avail.
For example, Canda (although FR is avail there as well), US, Australia, England,& Ireland will share the main easylist EN list while People from Austria, Switzerland & Germany users will get the German list even if their browser language set to English as they are most likely to browser a German speaking website.