ABP 3.1 cosmetic bug? Icon shows Number even if unchecked

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
MrGolem

ABP 3.1 cosmetic bug? Icon shows Number even if unchecked

Post by MrGolem »

ABP updated this morning. Got version 3.1. On Windows 10 & Linux Kubuntu 14.04 (in win7 vmware) with Firefox 60.0, toolbar icon displays a Number even if "Show number in icon" is Unchecked. Behavior is erratic. If box is checked and immediately unchecked, number goes away. After a page refresh, sometimes number comes back, sometimes not. Again erratic. Mostly noticed on Youtube channels like (The Young Turks, David Pakman Show, Secular Talk, and others...)

The number displayed does NOT represent the actual number of ads blocked. If I check box to see number of items, the number goes up, (in example below, 2 is shown, when box is checked, 19 is shown, unchecked number goes away, refresh page a few times and back to 2...

Hope this Twitter link can be seen https://twitter.com/Just_Golem/status/9 ... 4768710657 I used it to post screenshot
Last edited by MrGolem on Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary7

Re: ABP 3.1 cosmetic bug?

Post by Mary7 »

Same for me in one PC in Gmail account, after click on home Page button To return on Google home Page There is The numbers showed (i have also The show number in icon unchecked) And The numbers Goes up. In another pc without logged Gmail or Google The problem there isn t

Win10 1803 is My system i have noscript And kaspersky 2018 exstensions with ad Block plus 3.1

MrGolem are You logged on YouTube? I Think The bug is related To Google, YouTube logged Page because in The PC without loggin There isnt
MrGolem

Post by MrGolem »

Mary7, not related to Google (or at least not in my case) . Now with further use, I see same bug on Twitter and other random web pages like "Tech Guy Labs" and more. Seems to be related to ABP new version? Just cosmetic, but still, for now I removed the icon from the toolbar to soothe my OCD ;-) ;-)
Mary7

Post by Mary7 »

Yes is this new version, with 3.04 i haven t this problem

Hope that Will be a Fix quickly
mapx

Post by mapx »

MrGolem

Post by MrGolem »

mapx, sorry, I can't do that. 1- Don't have an account. 2- Don't understand structure of that system of Bug reporting. 3- Too many fields, columns or specific not understood info to provide. I am not a professional Bug tester/Finder. I'm an end user. Last time I posted here, someone accepted the task of reporting in my place. Hope this happens this time also. Thanks :-)
evie127

Post by evie127 »

Same problem. It just started today. If I go and toggle it to show in icon and toggle it back the number goes away. Very annoying.
ABP 3.1, Firefox 60.0, Windows 10 64 bit
Mary7

Post by Mary7 »

MrGolem in The PC without login on YouTube same problem. On all 3 PC 3.1 has this bug in Firefox. I Just do a tentative With disabling The others extensions That i have on Firefox But The problem persist so It isn t a conflict with others extensions
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Thank you for reporting this issue. I've created issue #6679 to keep track of it and I'll see whether I can reproduce it myself to find out what causes it.
MrGolem

Post by MrGolem »

Thanks @ greiner :-)

((edit: just to clarify original post, by "Linux Kubuntu 14.04 (in win7 vmware)" I was saying Using Firefox in Kubuntu 14 on a Win7 system using VmWare, not Win running in VmWare on Linux. In case it makes a difference. Also, bug happens on a Pure XFCE XUbuntu 16.04 installed directly on a Laptop.))
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Oh, sorry about the misunderstanding then. I'll update the ticket description accordingly.

On that note, I was wondering whether you could provide more information about how to encounter this problem because, unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce it yet. In particular, it'd be helpful to know whether any errors have occurred in the extension which you can check this way after you encounter the issue again:

1. Go to about://addons
2. Check "Enable add-on debugging"
3. Click on the link "Debug" in the Adblock Plus item in the list
4. Click "OK" on the confirmation dialog that pops up which will open a new window
5. Switch to the "Console" tab in that window and check copy what you see there
MrGolem

Post by MrGolem »

greiner, thanks for the added input. Sorry for little confusion before.

1: about:addons (the // are not needed, in fact they don't work)

Did the debug routine
Console section is Blank/Empty. Nothing to copy/paste

I use Youtube as an example, but the number thing happens everywhere. It's just that I saw it first there. If I access the link below (YT Channel for ScreenRant) number may or may not appear. Then I press F5 to refresh page. Sometimes multiple refreshes, then number shows. Sometimes it's a 1, then refresh it's a 2, refresh it's 3, or nothing or back to 1

https://www.youtube.com/user/ScreenRant/videos

More of my settings in case it helps

Adblock Warning Removal List : is Active
EasyPrivacy : is Active
Fanboy's Social Blocking List : is Active
EasyList : is Active

Block additional tracking : is Checked
Block social media icons tracking : is Checked
Allow Acceptable Ads is UNChecked

I did try checking
Allow Acceptable Ads
AND
Only allow ads without third-party tracking

and I still get the number. Back to unchecked for the last two for now.

ONLY other addon is NoScript (on all my systems), if you don't count the FORCED Uninstallable Addons from Firefox itself ((I can post the list if you need them))
Mary7

Post by Mary7 »

Yes on YouTube if i play a video And The refresh The Page The numbers appears And if i click home Page when It opens Google There is also The numbers.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Thanks a lot, I can now reproduce the issue. For some reason it only occurs when EasyPrivacy (i.e. "Block additional tracking") is enabled so I'll see what I can find.
MrGolem

Post by MrGolem »

I can also confirm, "Block additional tracking" seems to be related. I unchecked box, and with the same ScreenRant link I provided in other post, - Unchecked: NO Number, - Checked: Number.

Hope this helps you find the reason and a possible fix. Maybe I could live with Unchecked "Block additional tracking". Just trying to cover as many protection bases as possible. These are dangerous Internet times ;-) ;-)