Adblock Plus and K-Meleon 1.6 or 1.7

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
chrismt

Adblock Plus and K-Meleon 1.6 or 1.7

Post by chrismt »

I will like to bring to your notice that K-Meleon 1.6 and 1.7 have been released as betas

They are based on the latest Gecko and 1.7 is based on the current Mozilla Minefield nightly

Can you please make AdBlock for these versions?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/files/

I can only find Adblock 1.0.2 here
Wladimir Palant

Re: Adblock Plus and K-Meleon 1.6 or 1.7

Post by Wladimir Palant »

See en/roadmap#unscheduled - it is on the roadmap. However, given the effort required and the fact that K-Meleon 1.6/1.7 are not even in the beta stage yet (you linked to early alpha releases) this isn't a high priority right now.
chrismt

Post by chrismt »

Thanks for putting K-Meleon on the roadmap :D

Yes, I am sorry that I used the word Beta instead of Alpha :oops:
just_me

Post by just_me »

Hope, You did not forget K-Meleon, Wladimir :). Since yesterday first beta is available http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/kmeleon16 or http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/download.php
Wladimir Palant

Right, and Mozilla will probably drop Gecko 1.9.1 support in a month (with Adblock Plus following shortly)...
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Right, and Mozilla will probably drop Gecko 1.9.1 support in a month (with Adblock Plus following shortly)...
But let's not forget, Wladimir, Seamonkey 2.0x uses Gecko 1.9.1 and they DO NOT follow the same support schedule as Mozilla Firefox 3.5. Heck the next version of Seamonkey [aka. 2.1] (which uses Gecko 2.0) won't be released until sometime in 2011 and the Seamonkey folks will be supporting Seamonkey 2.0.x several months past December 2010.

So you're gonna have to continue supporting Seamonkey 2.0 for a while.

Currently, K-meleon 1.7 was planned to have Gecko 1.9.2 - not sure how long the KM folks will stick with that one.
Wladimir Palant

If SeaMonkey 2.1 is going to be released reasonably soon after Firefox 4 (where "reasonably" is strongly influenced by whether the timeline is known) - sure, I will wait for SeaMonkey 2.1. But otherwise - SeaMonkey users might have to stick with Adblock Plus 1.3 for a while. Dropping Gecko 1.9.1 support has significant advantages for Adblock Plus development and will in particular allow reducing testing effort a lot. I cannot wait indefinitely for that, with Firefox 4.next probably introducing very significant changes again (Electrolysis).
nord

Post by nord »

Wladimir Palant wrote:If SeaMonkey 2.1 is going to be released reasonably soon after Firefox 4 (where "reasonably" is strongly influenced by whether the timeline is known) - sure, I will wait for SeaMonkey 2.1. But otherwise - SeaMonkey users might have to stick with Adblock Plus 1.3 for a while. Dropping Gecko 1.9.1 support has significant advantages for Adblock Plus development and will in particular allow reducing testing effort a lot. I cannot wait indefinitely for that, with Firefox 4.next probably introducing very significant changes again (Electrolysis).
Wladmir,

I've been using K-Meleon since v. 0.6.... and have been a happy user of AdBlock in all its variations there and in other browsers.

It would be very sad if KM can't use Adblock any more. Any possibility that the current versions 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 that work with KM 1.5.4 can be adapted for KM 1.6?

Much thanks for listening.

N
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Right, and Mozilla will probably drop Gecko 1.9.1 support in a month (with Adblock Plus following shortly)...
doesn't seem to be likely...at least not yet. Mozilla is planning to release Firefox 3.5.17 in February 2011. Looks like the final releases of Firefox 4 and Seamonkey 2.1 will be delayed for sure. Right now, I don't see any definite plans of Mozilla releasing the final version of Firefox 4 yet and the upcoming beta 9, beta 10 and RC releases of FF 4 have yet to be determined.

And in the k-meleon-dev downloads section:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/files/k-meleon-dev/

K-meleon versions 1.6 beta 2 and 1.7 alpha 2 have been recently posted. KM 1.7a2 seems to be more stable than the buggy & crashing 1.7a1 release. still need some kinks to work out in KM 1.7 there.
KM 1.6 is based on Gecko 1.9.1 and 1.7 is based on Gecko 1.9.2.
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

Hey Wladimir. GOOD NEWS!

It seems that there are some KM users in this K-meleon forum thread are attempting to get the new ABP to work in K-meleon. Read the posts by jk, Alex and Matt here:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/re ... 373,page=2
Wladimir Palant

Heh... The basic functionality works of course - it requires Gecko 1.9.1 and you have that in K-Meleon 1.6. The problematic part is the user interface.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm testing your latest dev build and it works quite nice so far. Toolbar icon and context menu are already present - very nice :D
Really good job, Wladimir!

спасибо
Wladimir Palant

noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

Matt wrote:I'm testing your latest dev build and it works quite nice so far. Toolbar icon and context menu are already present - very nice :D
Really good job, Wladimir!

спасибо
yup, but as Wladimir said, the problem with the new ABP for K-meleon 1.6 is the UI as I definitely found out that the About Adblock Plus dialog box is missing all its contents.

and the new dev builds of ABP for KM 1.6 are meant only to be used in KM 1.6, not in KM 1.7 (or in any earlier version of KM) as they crash KM 1.7 - I found out the hard way on that one.
Wladimir Palant

There has been an update that should work better: development-builds/some-k-meleon-issues-fixed
The list of outstanding issues is still pretty long however.