Adblock Plus Slows down my internet?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
iga

Adblock Plus Slows down my internet?

Post by iga »

Hi Guys

Hope someone can help with this,
Adblock Plus Slows down my internet? and I have the filter default EasyList.

When I turn off Adblock Plus My internet speeds up again It seems like there is
to many filters in the list or something and it takes about 3 to 5 secs for a webpage to load with Adblock Plus on
and about 1 to 2 secs with it off.

I'm using firefox 3.6.8

Any ideas guys

Thanks
Wladimir Palant

Re: Adblock Plus Slows down my internet?

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Which Adblock Plus version do you use? Which website are we talking about? And finally, how exactly do you disable Adblock Plus?

Generally: the effect of EasyList should generally not be noticeable, there is a slight slowdown but too small to notice. In some unusual cases this might be different.
iga

Post by iga »

My Adblock Plus version is 1.2.1

How I disable Adblock Plus is from drop down arrow on icon
then Preferences/Options/ I then unclick Enable Adblock Plus and this disables it.

It's not just one or to sites the slow down happens on it happens on any site I go to.
This could be sites from my bookmarks or links I click.

I go to many sites with lots of adds and some with very little. It just seems to be when I click
the link to load the site it takes sometime for the site to fully load.

I uninstalled and then reinstalled Adblock Plus a few times to see if this would fix it but it does be still the same.
Wladimir Palant

Are you using *only* EasyList? Or do you also have custom filters? Please check under Tools / Adblock Plus Preferences.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I help maintain quite a few filter lists and as such have a lot of subscriptions active and I do not notice any slow down (especially during browsing).
iga

Post by iga »

Thanks guys

I'm just using EasyList for now I was going to use Fabboys list also but I said to myself
I will just see how I get on with EasyList for now so I don't have any other List installed.

I would just love to have the same loading speed that I get when Adblock Plus is disabled
because I really love Adblock Plus I think it's great.

I also disabled my other add-ons that I have installed to see if maybe one of them might have been
causing a conflict with Adblock Plus but no it was still the same.
iga

Post by iga »

A new thing I have seen also is Adblock Plus seems to be messing up a site I go to
when I disable Adblock Plus it's ok again. In the site I go to make & models say then I pick Audis to look at
Then say A6 Audi and then the red show cars when I click into a car I want to look at it's messed up with Adblock Plus on if I disable Adblock Plus its ok again.

This is the website http://www.carzone.ie
Wladimir Palant

EasyList authors visit this forum - but I'm not sure they will see a false positive report in an entirely unrelated topic. So I created a topic in the EasyList forum: http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=7159

For the future, please see en/getting_started#false-positives on how these issues should be dealt with.
Mewzishen

Post by Mewzishen »

I have just re-installed ABP after using it some months ago. I found that it also slowed down my browser (latest Mozilla) but I was using dial-up at the time. I have now changed to ADSL broadband and hoping that speed won't be affected now, but I have only just installed it literally minutes ago so I haven't given it a decent test yet. But.... I do have a question:- When I had ABP installed before, there was the ABP logo at the top right of my browser window and I could use it to disable ADP on certain sites. Now I have re-installed it (and it does appear in my Firefox extensions and it is enabled) but I don't have the logo appearing on my browser window like before, so I don't even know if it is working. Can anybody answer this please? Thanks guys.
goombapatrol

Post by goombapatrol »

sorry to bump this old thread, but i've got a related question.
However, you should not add all subscriptions you can get — each filter subscription contains filters that will in some cases block something that is not an advertisement, this is unavoidable. Usually, this will never be an issue for you, but you will be far more likely to hit this problem if you add too many filter subscriptions.
i understand that having too many filters can cause slowdown. however, if i disable/uncheck a few subscriptions, will it not cause as much slowdown?
or do i have to completely delete the filter subscription from ABP?
Wladimir Palant

Disabled subscriptions might slow down Firefox start somewhat - but once the browser is running they will have no effect.
goombapatrol

Post by goombapatrol »

ah, okay, just the initial startup. that's okay then.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I have been getting this message repeatedly, but it seems to be mostly on Outlook.com and Facebook.
It flashes so quickly, I do not have time to click YES, disable it on this website.

Firefox 84.0.2
ABP 3.10.1
Easy List
Easy Privacy
Fanboy's social blocking

Happening for months, on and off.

Thank you.
nihitthakkar

Post by nihitthakkar »

AdBlock don't have a negatively impact on browser speed.
There will be a littlt bit of a delay when you first open your browser while it fetches your AdBlock filter lists.
After that webpages generally load much faster.
greaylor

Post by greaylor »

Hello,
Another factor that makes Adblock slow down your network speed is the adequate amount of memory it consumes. The vast number of ads constantly appearing on your Web indicates that your filter list has surpassed more than 100 MBs each. Filter list is the list of ad sources by which ads used to get blocked on our browser. omegle chatrandom club
Last edited by greaylor on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.