Can't reinstall Adblock Plus on Seamonkey 2.49.4

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Fakemeal

Can't reinstall Adblock Plus on Seamonkey 2.49.4

Post by Fakemeal »

Hello everyone,

No idea how I screwed up but I recently uninstalled adblock plus from my browser and I've tried everything to get it back with no luck. I'm desperate for help at this point.

My browser is Seamonkey 2.49.4 running on Windows 10. I've been happy with Seamonkey for years and I really can't afford to lose it.

So like I said I recently uninstalled Adblock Plus (by accident). I naturally went to the Mozilla module page to reinstall it but Adbock Plus simply doesn't show in the list for me. If I go directly to the Adblock plus module page (with the various versions), it's as if Seamonkey wasn't detected and I'm only offered to install Firefox. I've tried installing the module directly from adblockplus.org, Seamonkey does download the module but refuses to install it and tells me it is corrupt. I have no option to force the installation. I've tried several things, including restoring backups, no luck there either. I'm fairly certain a string or value somewhere in my config is off but I have no idea where to look. I've also tried downloading the XPI and installing it from a local folder, same thing, Seamonkey tells me it's corrupt and simply won't have it. It's made my life hell at this point since I actually constantly work on the Internet. I really want my dear Adblock back.

Any idea anyone?

:(
mapx

Re: Can't reinstall Adblock Plus on Seamonkey 2.49.4

Post by mapx »

You should try installing uBo (ublock origin) - compatible (this version) with the old firefox and seamonkey
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... y-1.16.4.4
Fakemeal

Post by Fakemeal »

Thank you so much! That worked perfectly and the result is awesome!

Very grateful for this. Happy camper again.
niima

Post by niima »

thank you
you are the best
roberta

Post by roberta »

Good Day, :)

Please help.

I hope it's OK to revive this thread as it is relevant to my case.

I installed SeaMonkey 2.49.4, but I can't find Adblock Plus that can be installed in it. :(
Where can I find it?

Thank you Very Much,
Roberta
mapx

Post by mapx »

@roberta, read the thread: use uBo (see link above). ABP is not supported anymore for your browser.
uBo (ublock origin) is a better solution.
roberta

Post by roberta »

mapx wrote:@roberta, read the thread: use uBo (see link above). ABP is not supported anymore for your browser.
uBo (ublock origin) is a better solution.
@mapx, Thank you Very Much for your reply.

Btw, I had read the thread, but if there are more posts looking for ABP, then the developers may be enticed to once again support Seamonkey.

Best Regards,
Roberta
mapx

Post by mapx »

No, they wont support FF old versions (or seamonkey) anymore. So, your best choice is still that above.
Btw - uBo is a lot stronger than...
jurij

Post by jurij »

mapx wrote:You should try installing uBo (ublock origin) - compatible (this version) with the old firefox and seamonkey
Unfortunately this link does not work now. Could you kindly point to a place to get uBo for Seamonkey 2.49.5? Thanks a lot!
Hitchhiker

Post by Hitchhiker »

jurij wrote:
mapx wrote:You should try installing uBo (ublock origin) - compatible (this version) with the old firefox and seamonkey
Unfortunately this link does not work now. Could you kindly point to a place to get uBo for Seamonkey 2.49.5? Thanks a lot!
Here's the link you're looking for: Firefox Legacy build 1.16.4.25
I can't link to it directly but you'll find it below under the heading Assets

I suggest you also install the UBlock Origin Updater which will automatically update your version when a new release is published. Click the 1.8.0 link under Releases in the right hand column.