Blocking specific advertisers only

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
sadman

Blocking specific advertisers only

Post by sadman »

Before I commit to installing ABP on my computer at work, I'm trying to get a straight answer as to whether I can use it to block specific advertisers. Ads as a whole are not an issue - and in fact my line of work involves beta-testing sites with ads so I need to see them - but a growing number of websites accessed from Canada these days are running auto-placed ads for cannabis companies, with one in particular being particularly prolific. I find the topic triggering and the ads are also considered unacceptable to have on screen in my place of work for various reasons. Most of the ads do not have the Google Ad Choice option for removal or even reporting. I don't care if, say, Ford or Disney or something like that plops an ad on Huffingtonpost.com, but I don't want to see an ad for - I won't name the company; the ad itself it just text, so it is probably designed to be unobtrusive and thus avoid the ABP and other blockers' protocols.

If I install ABP for Firefox am I able to say "Block all ads from Company X" without actually blocking all ads appearing on a specific site? As I say, due to my line of work the nuclear option of blocking all ads (which I know some blockers do) isn't feasible (and I don't want to deny revenue to sites - i just do not wish to see or support certain companies, so I see this as the same as changing a channel when an offensive TV commercial comes on, but then turning back after the ad is done and viewing the remaining commercials in the break). Thanks.
mapx

Re: Blocking specific advertisers only

Post by mapx »

You can install ABP, then ...disable all the lists. This means wont block any ad.
Then, you can block what you want using custom filters.

Example of such site with bad ads (you want to block) ?
sadman

Re: Blocking specific advertisers only

Post by sadman »

mapx wrote:You can install ABP, then ...disable all the lists. This means wont block any ad.
Then, you can block what you want using custom filters.

Example of such site with bad ads (you want to block) ?
It's not a specific site. Basically there's this company that is promoting pot use here in Canada and they have purchased some deal where their ads appear on sites ranging from Dailymail.co.uk to Huffingtonpost.com based upon the IP. Meaning in Canada you may see the ad, but in the US you probably won't. Unlike other ads there is no "Ad Choices" link or the one Google Ads sometimes offers that allows one to request certain ads don't appear and you can report ads as inappropriate. There is a video that sometimes shows up so by rights this company should run afoul of the "no pop ups" thing, but most of their ads are just text. I just don't want to see them. But 99% of other ads I don't care (or I need to be able to see). I suppose only way to find out is to install and see what happens.