generic query for AdBlock and Adblock Plus: updating filters

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
hank

generic query for AdBlock and Adblock Plus: updating filters

Post by hank »

I haven't figured out an easy way to conserve filters that I've added manually -- because they go into the list alphabetically.

So each time I update Filterset G, I can either overwrite (losing my manually added items, if I've forgotten to Export a copy first, or add (duplicating lines).

Either way I have a manual editing chore.

Is there any way to sort what's in the Adblock list by date entered, for example, instead of alphabetically, so what I add by hand falls to the bottom or top of the list?

For example, in particular, the ads at boingboing.net, which aren't caught by Filterset G so far.
Alan

Re: generic query for AdBlock and Adblock Plus: updating fil

Post by Alan »

hank wrote:I haven't figured out an easy way to conserve filters that I've added manually -- because they go into the list alphabetically.

So each time I update Filterset G, I can either overwrite (losing my manually added items, if I've forgotten to Export a copy first, or add (duplicating lines).

Either way I have a manual editing chore.

Is there any way to sort what's in the Adblock list by date entered, for example, instead of alphabetically, so what I add by hand falls to the bottom or top of the list?

For example, in particular, the ads at boingboing.net, which aren't caught by Filterset G so far.
Just turn off the "Keep Filters Sorted" option. Any filters that you add will be appended to the bottom of the list. That's what I do and it works fine for me. If I recall correctly, G's suggested settings say to "Keep Filters Sorted". I don't know why he suggests that because it creates the problem you have.

Post by guest »

1) remove all filters 2) then ad your filters 3) export list off your filters 4) import filterset .g and overwrite by clicking ok 5) import your filters and do NOT overwrite by clicking cancel. Then just do steps 4 and 5 to update

Post by guest »

istead of doing steps 4 and 5 to update, do this. 1) export current list (filterset .g and your personal list) 2) import newest filterset .g and overwrite. 3) import your filters do NOT overwrite.
mcm

Post by mcm »

There is a Filterset.G Updater extension that automatically updates Adblock's filters to the latest version. It also allows you to define your own filters that get added to Adblock as well every time there's an update.

http://forum.pierceive.com/viewtopic.php?t=37