Adblock Plus is causing Firefox to freeze

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
amyfinnegan

Adblock Plus is causing Firefox to freeze

Post by amyfinnegan »

I'm having a problem with Adblock Plus for the last 3 days. The problem is: when I'm checking Facebook, Adblock freezes my browser. I know it's Adblock and not another addon, because I tried several combinations, and tried them one by one.

I also disabled my filters one by one, and the one that is causing the problem is the (most basic one) EasyList, ever since it was updated 2 days ago, it just keeps freezing Firefox.

If I don't open facebook, no other site seems to be having any problem with it.

I made a report of the filter, but just in case it's not the filter, but the program itself, I though it best to post it here as well.

I had never had a single issue with Adblock Plus before, this is my first, hope there is a solution, because this is one of the best addons ever for Firefox.

Any further questions, please let me know.
mapx

Re: Adblock Plus is causing Firefox to freeze

Post by mapx »

Just do a test:

- disable ABP
- install uBo - ublock origin (other adblocker)
- see if still in freezing while on FB
Victoriategg9520

Post by Victoriategg9520 »

I have been using Firefox for a very long time, I have three add-ons 1/ Adblock Plus 2/ IDM (Internet Download Manager) 3/ Personas Plus. I never had any issues until I had upgraded to Firefox 54.0.1. I have found Firefox to be extremely slow from the time I open it. I had played around with disabling and enabling these add-ons and found that the updates of adblock is what makes Firefox to freeze and lag for about a minute before it starts working. I never had any problems prier to 54 update.
soundgeek

Post by soundgeek »

I am getting the same problem with Firefox freezing. ABP is only blocking one ad - maybe this ad tests for ABP?

The effect is that the whole of Firefox runs very, very slow as if starved of resources. Perhaps a script is running in a tight loop?

I've only noticed it happening with FB.

If I turn off ABP for FB, the problem goes away.

It has only happened in the last week, so maybe something has changed on FB?

I'm running ABP on Firefox on Ubuntu Linux.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Just read the thread and try (as I said above) uBo (disabling ABP)
hackerb9

Post by hackerb9 »

I can confirm this bug started about a week ago as I have been helping a user diagnose it on her computer (Firefox 60.3, Debian GNU/Linux 9.5). The CPU and Memory usage go to 100% and the system starts swapping, making it unusable. I wonder if Facebook changed something intentionally as no other site has the problem. If I was Facebook, I'd have a team researching methods to counteract ABP and I'd let them test things out on small slices of its user population, perhaps measuring how long it takes the ABP community to react.

@mapx: Our of curiousity, why are you asking for a uBlockOrigin test? Are you suggesting people switch away from ABP? Or are you saying that using uBlockOrigin will help us narrow the problem down to whether it is a filter list or not? The original poster already specified that it works when EasyList is disabled, so we can probably skip the uBlockOrigin test, no?
mapx

Post by mapx »

Well, you could report directly your issue on the bug tracker:
https://issues.adblockplus.org