ABP doesn't always survive a FF window process restart

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
frispete

ABP doesn't always survive a FF window process restart

Post by frispete »

Hi,

after switching from FF 52esr to FF 64 on my primary workstation, I see some issues with ABP.
I would call myself a FF power user (using as my primary web browser), since it is running
24/7 with more than 20 windows open, each stuffed with some to many tabs. The only
add-on, I've installed, is ABP. System is an openSUSE derivative with a pretty current kernel.

Since the new FF is running each window in its own process now, it changed its runtime
behaviour significantly. Due to the long running processes and some unresolved related issues,
FF accumulates CPU load over time. The only way to cope with this issue is terminating such
processes. This results in FF displaying a page, stating that some tabs are crashed, and allows
restart those, which I do of course.

Unfortunately, this is, where ABP starts to fail. At some point (not always), it gets into a state,
where the ABPs primary dialog shows up, when clicked. But it is not able to control anything.
When opening the config page from the add-on management page, it shows no configuation at
all (no checkbox selected, no language).

So, I guess, ABP didn't detect/clean-up after the FF process restart, and is stalling from
accessing some resources (open files, etc)...

May I kindly ask you to try to reproduce this, and try to solve it.

Thanks for consideration,
Pete