[firefox bug] ABP disabled by Firefox

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
jkaufman54

[firefox bug] ABP disabled by Firefox

Post by jkaufman54 »

Hello, for the third time, the adblock icon and service has been removed from my firefox account without my authorization. Prior instances, I was able to simply download and reinstall it. NOW, each time I attempt to reinstall, I can't according to a firefox window telling me the file is "corrupted". I have tried downloading from several different sites, all with the same result. Has anyone else had to deal with this nonsense? What can be done??? Thanks...
kaetakara

ABP disabled by Firefox and unable to re-install

Post by kaetakara »

I was on Youtube when I received a message regarding ABP being disabled due to not meeting the required criteria for Add-Ons. I paused the video I was watching and went and checked the Add-On and received the following message.

The More Information takes me to a page about Mozilla 57 and later only accepting signed Add-Ons. So I remove the Add-On since it will not allow me to re-enable it. I then attempt to re-install the Add-On directly from the website and it states the Add-On is corrupted. I clear my browser cache, reboot the browser, and then try again. Same issue. I attempt to install the Add-On from the Mozilla Add-On page and it tells me to check my network connection. Clear the browser cache again, and try again and the same error. I reboot the PC and try it all again and I get the same errors.

Does anyone have any idea regarding this issue? I am on Mozilla 66.0.3 (64-bit). Add-On version was the most recent.
tehuti88

Re: ABP disabled by Firefox and unable to re-install

Post by tehuti88 »

It looks like Firefox just disabled all (or at least, many) add-ons for some bizarre reason, and won't let us reinstall. I just experienced the same thing. (It also removed Trend Micro toolbar though I had it disabled anyway. But still.) Tried reinstalling Adblock Plus and Firefox refused because the file was "corrupt" (which is a flat-out lie).

Am using Google Chrome at the moment because I do not want to surf without Adblock Plus!
kaetakara

Post by kaetakara »

They did not remove all Add-Ons for me. 2 of the 3 I had.
BladeReevusOmega

Post by BladeReevusOmega »

Yeah it disabled it for me. There's gotta be a way to reinstalled it.
starclaws

Post by starclaws »

Ran into this last night. Just installed the Firefox Extended Support Release and changed the signatures required and got it to work but on this build gmail is broken unless you ctrl+f5 the page after it says it's corrupt. Hopefully ABP gets going and gets approved. I can't imagine the internet without ABP.

Fix take from here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ad ... =inproduct

"Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR), Firefox Developer Edition and Nightly versions of Firefox will allow you to override the setting to enforce the extension signing requirement, by changing the preference xpinstall.signatures.required to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page). There are also special unbranded versions of Firefox that allow this override. See the MozillaWiki article, Add-ons/Extension Signing for more information. "
kaetakara

Post by kaetakara »

I disabled the Signature thing on my browser. It says you have to install a different version to do so but I didn't have to?
Didn't fix the issue for me by disabling it.

EDIT: Also, we shouldn't have to install a special version of a browser to use the Add-On?
Last edited by kaetakara on Sat May 04, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LiamA

Post by LiamA »

Looks like it's everybody. I just had my add ons disabled too.
chindog

Post by chindog »

My wife complained about having adblock plus removed from her firefox browser. While I was searching for info on my computer, my adblock plus was zapped. We'd like to get this add on back.
teammm

Post by teammm »

Firefox disabled all addons that don't meet its new criteria for "safety" from malicious attacks. We need to get the creator's attention so they can update it to comply with the new rules. I need my Adblock Plus! I only had 3 addons that I needed for my perfect browser experience and now all of them are disabled.
tehuti88

Post by tehuti88 »

I found some updates from Mozilla regarding an expired certificate issue or something like that (I'm not computer savvy), but it won't let me post the links here, just says they don't like Spammers. :/ Looks like they're working on it?
beachbirdie

Post by beachbirdie »

Same problem. I'm a little miffed at this. I have become so dependent on adblock, and can't re-install either from adblock page nor firefox page.

I hope they fix this fast, I am suddenly confronted with the reminders of why I installed this thing! I've been spoiled, this is a pain.
beachbirdie

Re: unauthorized adblock removal

Post by beachbirdie »

Yeah, there is another thread with a lot of people reporting the same issue. I'm having that problem too. I'm quite annoyed. :evil: :evil: :evil:
UHF

Post by UHF »

Could it be anything to do with this:
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05 ... s-updates/

It is supposed to happen in June though.
wiliieBthe3rd

Re: ABP disabled by Firefox **FIXED!!**

Post by wiliieBthe3rd »

I found a fix, and it worked for me!

You have to go to ABOUT:CONFIG and change a setting from "TRUE" to "FALSE". (Double click it)

Just copy this text, on the line below, then PASTE it into the SEARCH box on the ABOUT:CONFIG

xpinstall.signatures.required

POP! My AdBlock Plus came right back!! :)

BTW, I am running Firefox under Linux.

Willie...