[firefox bug] ABP disabled by Firefox

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
937carrera

Re: Adblock Plus Disabled on Firefox

Post by 937carrera »

Captain a wrote: So, anybody care to put up some good alternate browsers that WILL run what we WANT to run on our own dam* computers?
I use Avant as a back up browser - has FF, Chrome and IE engines to select from
Cherh

Post by Cherh »

937carrera wrote:Registered just to post this - Like you I want to use Firefox, not a Chrome copy.

I just got my 51.0.1 version working in the following way

Yesterday
1.Set xpinstall.signatures.required to FALSE
2. Installed the hotfix and made the change on

Not working this morning, ABP still not loading

Then I

3. Went into Add-Ons and enabled "de-bug addons"
4. "Temporarily" loaded ABP for debugging

ABP was immediately visible and operating. I was both surprised and pleased to see that following a FF restart ABP remained active and appears in the list of installed add ons

:D
And I came to register for the same reasons, to write here.
First Thank you! You helped a lot!
And thanks for the forum, I searched for days till finding this board and the right answers, neither wanted to use Chrome instead or use a new version of FF.

And some addition to your post.
I followed all your steps.
1. It was already set for me to FALSE
2. I could not install the xpi, was not downloaded by Studies - but used the direct link to this xpi from this page
comment section, the link: https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-n ... signed.xpi

Still nothing on my side either.
3. Went into debugging add-ons (about:debugging) - allowed the debugging there
4. Loaded the missing add-ons xpi's there (after clicking ok) - and all worked luckily, except ABP..
... which I missed the most and immediately removed to reinstall when Mozilla team told so, hoping to have it back first.
And as I could not install because of the error message..
5. Saved the ABP xpi itself to among add-ons.
6. Loaded it for debugging (actually by mistake) and it got downloaded and worked immediately.

(Sorry, obviously not a professional here, I made many mistakes/noob things, but it maybe might be useful for others, too)

Thank you very much 937carrera, you saved my day! :)
Shendue

Re: [firefox bug] ABP disabled by Firefox

Post by Shendue »

rms8 wrote: When you said "..The only thing I can think of is that I asked to SAVE the script on the console." how did you do this? I see no "SAVE" option available.
Your guess is as good as mine. All I know is that I opened the console, copypasted your script, pressed ENTER.
Then I guess I clicked on another tab of the console, maybe, I don't even remember.
All I know is that FF asked me if I wanted to save blah blah something, which I did.
I'm just slightly used to Python, I barely know JS at all, nor I'm extremely familiar with how FF's console runs the scripts, hence I really don't know why it worked so well for me either.
I'm using version 55.0.2 (64 bit), in case you are wondering.
Last edited by Shendue on Tue May 07, 2019 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shendue

Post by Shendue »

Captain a wrote:Well, it look as though Firefox is going to chase a good many long time users to another browser. I'm going after this sh8t. No warning or explanation. How many hours have we all put in collectively trying to get our apps up again. Phooey! I really loved Firefox but now I'm so over them.
So, anybody care to put up some good alternate browsers that WILL run what we WANT to run on our own dam* computers?
JUST GOT THE UPDATE AND IT WON'T LOAD.

Firefox can’t find the file at chrome://unitedtb/content/webapps/mailto-handler.xul?mailto:?body=https%3A%2F%2Faddons.mozilla.org%2Fen-US%2Ffirefox%2Fguides%2Fstay-safe-online%2F&subject=Stay%20Safe%20Online%20%E2%80%93%20Add-ons%20for%20Firefox%20(en-US).

Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.
I personally haven't tried it yet, but Pale Moon is basically an open source derivation of Firefox that retains the old customization philosophy and supports many Firefox legacy addons: https://www.palemoon.org/.
Classic Theme Restorer, the plugin I use to customize FF's aspect, suggests to switch to Basilisk (https://www.basilisk-browser.org/download.shtml) or Waterfox (https://www.waterfox.net/), also forked from the original Firefox.
Last edited by Shendue on Tue May 07, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pthkny

Post by pthkny »

I registered just so I could let you all know that RMS's links above solved my problems. The links directed my to another link with instructions and link for a hard REFRESH. I did the REFRESH and then downloaded a new Adblock Plus. Of course, I had to re-customize all of my FF preferences, but all bookmarks, history, etc were saved in the refresh. What dreadful weekend this was!!

Try this link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... oblem-link
Shendue

Post by Shendue »

rms8 wrote: I (along w/many others) am on FF release 56.0.2 since that is the last release that allows me to continue to use some of my favorite add-ons. Anything newer will not allow me to use them and therefore I cannot customize the look and use of FF to my liking.

Add Block Plus will still uninstall itself each time I re-install my FF backup from March.

I found a way to keep ABP installed, but it reverts each time I restart FF. To at least allow me to do this I had to do the following:

I figured out what I've done.
After I copypasted the script and pressed the ENTER key, I right-clicked on the code and selected "store as global variable".
That said, today I opened Firefox and the addons aren't working, again, therefore I'm now clueless.

I should add, tho, that I tried to copypaste your script again on the console and now it says "TypeError: Components.utils is undefined" to me.

EDIT: I tried AGAIN and now it worked. I restarted FF and it's fine again. I'm confused.
Last edited by Shendue on Tue May 07, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shendue

Post by Shendue »

pthkny wrote:I registered just so I could let you all know that RMS's links above solved my problems. The links directed my to another link with instructions and link for a hard REFRESH. I did the REFRESH and then downloaded a new Adblock Plus. Of course, I had to re-customize all of my FF preferences, but all bookmarks, history, etc were saved in the refresh. What dreadful weekend this was!!

Try this link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... oblem-link
The REFRESH button doesn't work with my version of FF (55.0.2 64-bit).
rms8

Post by rms8 »

Shendue wrote:
rms8 wrote: I (along w/many others) am on FF release 56.0.2 since that is the last release that allows me to continue to use some of my favorite add-ons. Anything newer will not allow me to use them and therefore I cannot customize the look and use of FF to my liking.

Add Block Plus will still uninstall itself each time I re-install my FF backup from March.

I found a way to keep ABP installed, but it reverts each time I restart FF. To at least allow me to do this I had to do the following:

I figured out what I've done.
After I copypasted the script and pressed the ENTER key, I right-clicked on the code and selected "store as global variable".
That said, today I opened Firefox and the addons aren't working, again, therefore I'm now clueless.

I should add, tho, that I tried to copypaste your script again on the console and now it says "TypeError: Components.utils is undefined" to me.

EDIT: I tried AGAIN and now it worked. I restarted FF and it's fine again. I'm confused.

First off, when I ran the script, it restored ALL my add-ons which were previously disabled EXCEPT ABP. Those Add-Ons remain ENABLED after every restart of FF. The ONLY way I can get ABP to work again is to "Load Temporary Add-ons". But there is now way that I can see to make that permanent as ABP is always gone after I restart FF.

So frustrating.
Shendue

Post by Shendue »

rms8 wrote:
Shendue wrote:
rms8 wrote: First off, when I ran the script, it restored ALL my add-ons which were previously disabled EXCEPT ABP. Those Add-Ons remain ENABLED after every restart of FF. The ONLY way I can get ABP to work again is to "Load Temporary Add-ons". But there is now way that I can see to make that permanent as ABP is always gone after I restart FF.

So frustrating.
I wonder why the same script works differently for me. Maybe due to the version of FF? Version of ABP? Differences in profile?
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Same issues. I even tried updating to the latest beta. No ABP, then back to version 50, then to 56.0.2. Still no ABP. I read from support that Mozilla pushed a release to fix this & we should all have it by now. Unfortunately for me no. Anyone else still having this issue with 56.0.2? I honestly could live without my other add-ons, but life with out ABP... Not happening in this day in age.

Side note, tried everything but this script everyone keeps mentioning. But it doesn't sound like a stable solution so I didn't bother. Made whole new profiles, fully uninstalled... I mean everything short of learning how to code & recode Firefox myself.
puzzled

Post by puzzled »

Has anyone tried installing the 66.0.5 version? I was asked to update it today but I don't dare, at least not til knowing what are people experiencing. I see different version being mentioned in this thread though. I'm using the 66.0.4 version and nothing that wasn't happening before happened with my ABP fortunately, but reading all the horror stories now scared me! I don't wanna update my FF.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Yeah & tried the new beta. Same issues no matter what. I went back to 54 even. No fix. I am tempted to go back to version 50 since it & earlier version don't have the add-on checking.
puzzled

Post by puzzled »

The Dude wrote:Yeah & tried the new beta. Same issues no matter what. I went back to 54 even. No fix. I am tempted to go back to version 50 since it & earlier version don't have the add-on checking.
Not gonna update it yet :/ It's really frustrating