"Recommend us on Facebook" button

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Ares2

Re: "Recommend us on Facebook" button

Post by Ares2 »

I guess such things have to be placed where ordinary users get a chance to see them, burying them in menus, rarely opened windows etc. is most likely not going to address the target audience.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Ares2: I tried a menu item at first - but it looks too much like a piece of regular Adblock Plus UI, I think that would lead to much confusion.
:-/

Post by :-/ »

Just got the updated version, and to be honest, first thing I did was come here and search for filters to block it.

I honestly don't see the point of the button. Most Adblock Plus users aren't exactly the target audience for Facebook, and of all the companies that scream "We're the complete opposite of what Adblock Plus stands for", Facebook is among the most notorious. Also, as someone else mentioned, ABP's already the number 1 extension for Firefox users, it doesn't really need advertising, does it?

Now, if this is a revenue thing (i.e. Facebook pays you to include the recommend tool in the extension), then I don't like it, but it's understandable and most'll probably put up with it, so long as it's optional or removable as it is now :P

/2 cents
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

I don't think associating ABP with Facebook is a good idea. It will make ABP look bad by associating it with a product that is the exact opposite in purpose.

It's like marketing a new power tool to the Amish.
Herchi

Post by Herchi »

Pillow wrote:I don't think associating ABP with Facebook is a good idea. It will make ABP look bad by associating it with a product that is the exact opposite in purpose.

It's like marketing a new power tool to the Amish.
+1

It's a real pity to see the button now
WonderCsabo

Post by WonderCsabo »

This button is kinda annoying. It takes a large place at the bottom of the context menu. Because of this it's slower to
reach the menu functions. I suggest to move this button the the very top of the context menu, and make it one line high.

The other thing is that i'm logged out from FB, but the button is still displayed.

Anyway i totally agree with Pillow.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I believe that the add-on checks for the presence of a cookie named "lu" from facebook.com, which evidently does not necessarily correspond with whether someone is logged in (the changelog with the alteration is https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/804cff7dcb14). Wladimir, would you please be able to clarify what the "lu" cookie is for? It may also be advisable to add information about this check to the privacy policy.
Wladimir Palant

I guess that "lu" stands for "last user" - Facebook seems to store your user name there (encoded). The presence of this cookie doesn't mean that you are currently logged into Facebook but it means that you were logged in at some point.

I'm not sure this is relevant for the privacy policy - it's not the only occasion where Adblock Plus has to make some UI decision depending on browser's available information (e.g. hiding built-in image blocker in the context menu), I'm not really keen on documenting all internal algorithms in the privacy policy.

For reference, on hiding this button: en/faq_customization#facebook_remove
content user (almost)

Post by content user (almost) »

Come on, guys-developers! I was used to just click right, move mouse a bit up and click again, now there is annoying facebook button, the same button, I've blocked on every site, because it was annoying! Are you kiddin' us? It is so good addon, but the button faints it so much! Please remove it, putting ads everywhere is not good way to have good product! And who cares of number of likes on Facebook? Do you? That's silly. And if you don't care, why do you crowd there annoying fb button? Thanks for removing, I believe in your common sense ;)
Wladimir Palant

TNTC4

Post by TNTC4 »

hey Wladimir.
I will hack you addon and will remove facebook button.
I promise.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Code: Select all

browser,navigator,messenger,songbird,midbrowser,emusic,webrunner##.abp-recommendbutton
Does not work in Thunderbird.
Wladimir Palant

@Hubird: Seriously? How did you get the button to even show up in Thunderbird? The rule seems to work for me btw.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

@TNTC4
There is no need to hack.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@Hubird: Seriously? How did you get the button to even show up in Thunderbird? The rule seems to work for me btw.
Yes, I was 100% serious.