Will anything be done about pop-ups?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
LorenzoC

Re: Will anything be done about pop-ups?

Post by LorenzoC »

Yes indeed. :)

But believe or not I tried it myself for a while.
The good thing is it is harmless, contrary to some other approaches like installing extensions.
You just reset the about:config settings to default.
The bad thing is it gets quickly more annoying than pop-ups. :)
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

LorenzoC wrote:go in about:config and delete "click" from the "allowed DOM events" list.
That poses the same problem as Popup Blocker Settings, while providing none of its convenience:
Gingerbread Man wrote:In Firefox 4 however, blocking all pop-ups also means blocking the file picker window that should appear when uploading a file.
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

Yes, it is not practical. It is more about curiosity.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't see an advantage in installing the Redirector extension over the Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon extension.
I actually see a potential disadvantage, because using Redirector actually keeps you from seeing particular pages at all; for example, if you took the sample setup that causes window.close() to be called whenever a document URL has "livejasmin" in it (intended to block LiveJasmin popups), then whenever you actually want to visit LiveJasmin, the tab would close on you.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

lewisje wrote:if you took the sample setup that causes window.close() to be called whenever a document URL has "livejasmin" in it (intended to block LiveJasmin popups), then whenever you actually want to visit LiveJasmin, the tab would close on you.
Obviously one would try to use a less aggressive filter in such a situation, like creatives.livejasmin.com or an even more specific filter.

Looking at the documentation of the ABP Pop-up Addon extension, it does appear to be more fully featured:
There are basically two ways of getting rid of an unwanted pop-up: blocking just the single pop-up or blocking all pop-ups from the site that was trying to open it.
[...]
A quick example: there is a site called http://somesite.com which is trying to open a pop-up whose url is http://creatives.livejasmin.com. You have two options: adding http://creatives.livejasmin.com to Adblock Plus' "My Ad Blocking Rules" or adding somesite.com to Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon's site rules and selecting "Block all pop-ups" as an action. Former option will block this individual pop-up only, but the later one will block this pop-up and every other pop-up from somesite.com.
And I appreciate all these features, but haven't actually needed them yet. But it's good that they are there.

Allow me to quote a certain someone. "Let me first say that I greatly appreciate the continued effort that goes into ABP Pop-up Addon extension. However, I currently have no less than 12 extensions that fix bugs, removed features and incomplete features in Firefox. I would really rather not have to also install an extension to fix a missing feature in another extension."
I feel the exact same way, and that's probably why I haven't installed the ABP Pop-up Addon extension. And for the same reason, Redirector extnsion is an acceptable solution to me.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Um... I said I appreciate the effort that goes into Adblock Plus, not Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon. My point was that Adblock Plus is a fine extension, but proper pop-up blocking is something that should be handled either directly in Firefox, or by Adblock Plus.

So far, I have stuck with Pop-up Blocker Settings despite its annoyances. I'm bothered by this bit from the Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon help page:
[...] if there is a filter that matches, the window is closed.
If it just auto-closes pop-ups, then it's of no use to me.

For those who missed the blog post, the aforementioned JavaScript proxies aren't looking as promising as initially hoped: Do JavaScript proxies allow undetectable function wrappers?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

They will be promising again if bug 650299 is fixed. The other problems seem solvable.