Why do I see ads on the noscript main page? I have Ad Block

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey

Re: Adblock Plus breaks NoScript's donation box & screenshot

Post by Guest »

LorenzoC wrote:NoScript site looks ugly
Yes it does.
Definitely not a good reason for Adblock Plus to randomly kill its content.
Michael

Re: Why do I see ads on the noscript main page? I have Ad Block

Post by Michael »

Guest wrote:it's idiotic to believe anybody would "deliberately" modify his "site so that it no longer display correctly" for any user
It's been done before on other domains. In fact, I can think of many website owners who intentionally attempt to prevent content being displayed to users of advert blocking software.
Guest wrote:So the fault for hiding them belongs, with no doubt, to EasyList's authors, either for sloppiness (couldn't they test before releasing?), or for stupidity, or for malice.
Since they didn't fix it yet, one may believe the 3rd to be most likely answer.
I have every faith that the other authors did test rules when visiting the domains and that they did not result in any false positives at the time. I instead strongly suspect that the randomisation functions or layout were altered again to caused this issue. The delay was in responding was not due to malice, but has been due to us considering an alternative response for the domains.

While it appears that the HTML for the donation box has remained constant, I believe that elements above it have been altered, causing the false positive. I have therefore removed the problematic filter from EasyList (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/54c4c822523e).
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

"Yes it does. Definitely not a good reason for Adblock Plus to randomly kill its content."

Well, two things:
It is not ABP, it is the subscription(s). I don't use any subscription and I would nuke ANY of the said patches on a site that annoys me so much ON PURPOSE. Including the "donate" buttons that are placed randomly here and there. Fortunately in my case it is better to just avoid NoScript site since there is nothing for me to see there.

Life would be so much better for everybody, the final "user" above all, if who ever made No Script site put some effort in make the site look better instead of focusing on the said annoying patches only. I think it is idiotic to "deliberately" annoy your site's visitors, make them puke on sight, then make mandatory to remove the said patches. To not mention all the tricks implemented in the site code, wasted time spent working AGAINST the "user". I think it says something.
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

Request Policy addon seems like a decent alternative :D
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... estpolicy/

Maybe we should help spread the word, so that there is an WELL PUBLICIZED alternative to NoScript ? ;)
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

vinny86 wrote:Request Policy addon seems like a decent alternative :D
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... estpolicy/

Maybe we should help spread the word, so that there is an WELL PUBLICIZED alternative to NoScript ? ;)
RequestPolicy is not an alternative to NoScript; it complements it by focusing on cross-site requests where NoScript focuses on scripts, so RequestPolicy does nothing about a website's own scripts, and NoScript does not block all types of cross-site requests (although it does actually block webfonts, plugin content, frames, iframes, and optionally "web bugs" and attempts to violate application boundaries). Also IIRC RequestPolicy is harder to use.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

In my opinion we are turning around the issue here, regardless the extension:
When you come to a Web site you are asked "Site wants to perform XYZ function, authorize it? Yes - No".
Which basically makes these extensions useless because you either block everything, then you disrupt most sites, or you authorize stuff without knowing what it actually does. An important concept to consider is that "trustworthy" sites don't exist. Even major firms like Google can distribute bad stuff in a way or another, on purpose or because of some security fail.

I learned the lesson the hard way many years ago when a firewall warned me about a process wanting to open a connection and since it looked like some system service I answered "yes".
AnoSmith

Post by AnoSmith »

Wow, a lot of people blowing this out of proportion, The guy is supplying the best plugin ever, I hope to god it is not discontinued.

If he wants to mess around with *his* web-page then there is nothing wrong with that what-so-ever, if he wants to display ads and earn a living and avoid ad-blockers then that is totally his right and who wouldn't do the same if they needed the money to live off.

Having said that, I can't see any point in denying trying to show ads, that is foolish if true and looking at the page source is amusing. I really don't see the point in trying so hard to stop a handful of zealots from trying to block ads when they so desperately wish not to see them.

And to the freaks who visit the noscript page then scream about seeing a couple of small static ads on the page you visited which are paying for software you are using - you really need to get your heads examined.
AnoWesson

Post by AnoWesson »

AnoSmith wrote:I really don't see the point in trying so hard to stop a handful of zealots from trying to block ads when they so desperately wish not to see them.
Maybe because that handful of zealots decides what "over 7 millions users" should not see? :twisted:
EasyList Home Page wrote: EasyList is the primary subscription that removes adverts from English webpages, including unwanted frames, images and objects. It is the most popular list for Adblock Plus, with over 7 million daily users, and forms the basis of over a dozen combination and supplementary subscriptions.