My filter list

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Corb

My filter list

Post by Corb »

Previously, importing and exporting lists was done elementarily - ctrl + a, ctrl + x, ctrl + v. Exactly how to search for the desired line - ctrl + f. Sorting and AutoCorrect are also hotkeys in an external text editor. Merging, finding duplicates ... Now this is not possible.

In addition, scrolling with the mouse wheel almost does not work - the list is scrolled very slowly, by one line for each rotation of the wheel. But there is no scroll bar slider in this field.

Why is the new design of custom blocking rules better than the old?

Firefox 72.0b6 (64-bit), Windows 10, "Adblock Plus - free ad blocker" v3.7 (23 October 2019).
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: My filter list

Post by greiner »

Corb wrote:Previously, importing and exporting lists was done elementarily - ctrl + a, ctrl + x, ctrl + v. Exactly how to search for the desired line - ctrl + f. Sorting and AutoCorrect are also hotkeys in an external text editor. Merging, finding duplicates ... Now this is not possible.

Why is the new design of custom blocking rules better than the old?
Our main goal with the new design was to bring back functionality from the older, more powerful Firefox version. That includes the ability to en-/disable individual custom filters, sort filters, show error messages for invalid filters, handle long filters, handle large amounts of filters, save filters individually and lay the foundation for more powerful features in the future.

That being said, it does behave quite differently from the previous UI since that was merely a text area. For example:
- You can select all filters by clicking on the checkbox in the top-left corner of the table.
- You can copy all selected filters by clicking on the "Copy selected" buttont that appears at the bottom of the table after selecting one or more filters.
- You can search for existing filters by typing into the input field at the top of the table.

We are still gathering feedback on how filter authors and other users write filters (see ui#526) but we are already planning to improve the existing UI with a future update to make it feel more intuitive for editing with only a keyboard. Especially your input regarding missing keyboard shortcuts could be quite useful for that because that hasn't been mentioned yet, as far as I remember.
Corb wrote:In addition, scrolling with the mouse wheel almost does not work - the list is scrolled very slowly, by one line for each rotation of the wheel. But there is no scroll bar slider in this field.
We are tracking this problem in ui#487 so please upvote that issue. The reason why this problem exists is that Firefox tells us that we are supposed to scroll this way (i.e. scroll by a certain number of rows rather than scroll by a certain number of pixels) so we decided to follow that, even though we found it a bit odd ourselves (see this discussion). So this can be changed, if it turns out that the way it's meant to work is not the way users expect it to work.
Corb

Post by Corb »

greiner wrote:You can copy all selected filters by clicking on the "Copy selected" buttont that appears at the bottom of the table after selecting one or more filters.
What is the point that you can copy all the filters if it is not possible to paste all the filters, or paste a large number of them? For example, they sent me a personal collection of hundreds of filters - how can I quickly combine them with mine in a browser?
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Corb wrote:What is the point that you can copy all the filters if it is not possible to paste all the filters, or paste a large number of them? For example, they sent me a personal collection of hundreds of filters - how can I quickly combine them with mine in a browser?
You can paste multiple filters into the input field that's located above the table. It will then add each of the pasted filters to the list.
J999999

Post by J999999 »

greiner wrote:You can paste multiple filters into the input field that's located above the table. It will then add each of the pasted filters to the list.
That seems to have stopped working in Firefox. If I copy-paste multiple filters into the input field in Firefox, I get a single very long filter. If I do the same thing in Chrome, I get multiple filters as expected.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

J999999 wrote:That seems to have stopped working in Firefox. If I copy-paste multiple filters into the input field in Firefox, I get a single very long filter. If I do the same thing in Chrome, I get multiple filters as expected.
I'm unable to reproduce that problem on:

Ubuntu 20.04
Firefox 78
Adblock Plus 3.8.4

Can you share more information on what browser and extension versions you're using so that I can try to narrow it down?