Adblock for Roku

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Pegbyter

Adblock for Roku

Post by Pegbyter »

Can you create a version of Adblock Plus that can be loaded onto a Roku via the USB port? That would be awesome!
lewisje

Re: Adblock for Roku

Post by lewisje »

Pegbyter wrote:Can you create a version of Adblock Plus that can be loaded onto a Roku via the USB port? That would be awesome!
Without knowing more about how Roku works, the best that you can do is load a specially-crafted HOSTS file into its internal filesystem: http://jansal.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/adblock/hosts
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Pegbyter

Post by Pegbyter »

Thanks for the file info.. But I'm not a programmer, so I wouldn't know how to compile it. I have a USB port on mine, and a flash drive. So once it's compiled into a Roku readable format all I would have to do is tell it to access the usb port; (easy enough since that program already exists) and tell it to run the file. Any suggestions?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

That format for the HOSTS file is readable as-is by any Windows or Unix-based system; what you need to do is copy it to the place where HOSTS files would normally go, probably the file /etc/hosts

but actually accessing the filesystem of the Roku is another matter entirely; perhaps you could remove the hard drive, mount it on a computer that understands its filesystem (probably ext2), and then go from there
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mrverrall

Post by mrverrall »

Hi,

I block the ads from the channel list page on my roku. I do this by using a custom host record as previously described but rather than try and 'hack' my roku with a custom hostile I take a more targeted approach and add a specific host override on my home router. I've detailed this futher on my blog here: http://blog.mrverrall.co.uk/2013/01/blo ... -menu.html

Hope this helps!
mrverrall

Post by mrverrall »

mrverrall wrote: ... 'hack' my roku with a custom hostile ...
Sorry, should read 'custom host file'.
oisd_fan

if cannot block roku ads resume usenet kodi paid content

Post by oisd_fan »

Have you an archived version of this? Did check archive.org no joy

--

oops necro. misread OP date 2021
nelsolis

Post by nelsolis »

block the ads from the channel list page on my roku.