Block ad block nag with div with random name

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
OHanraha-hanrahan

Block ad block nag with div with random name

Post by OHanraha-hanrahan »

I am experiencing a nag telling me to turn off ad block from a site*. It is a div that seems to have a random class name, and it seems to randomly generate some of its properties such as color. The site is still usable, bbut I can't help feeling a similar tactic could disable use of the site in future.

I've tried to block the element with:

<name of site>.net#?#div:-abp-properties(bottom: 0px; left: 0px; position: fixed; display: flex;)

These properties seem constant, but the message still shows up. (But anyway these seem quite general and could affect necessary things.

The z-index is one thing that catches my eye, it is random, but always a very high number (2147483642, 2147483592 etc) they really want it in front of EVERYTHING!

There is also a warning triangle image which is in a grandchild div, is there a way to code blocking the grandparent of any div that contains this image? (all of the divs under the manin one have random class names.

Thanks in advance.

(*As a side note this is the site that first made me want to block ads so many years ago, there was a banner ad of a brightly coloured moving, buzzing bee with sound that was massively irritating - small unobtrusive ads would have been OK, but no, advertisers seem to think that can deliberately annoy to get attention, and then net result has been me probably only seeing about 5 ads on the internet in the last 12 years.)
HhSnow

Re: Block ad block nag with div with random name

Post by HhSnow »

OHanraha-hanrahan wrote:is there a way to code blocking the grandparent of any div that contains this image?
Yes. Here's an example pattern for blocking a div that contains an anchor (link) that contains an image:

Code: Select all

thefreedictionary.com#?#div:-abp-has(>a:-abp-has(>img[src$="CompleteGrammarRules.png"]))
Check out the documentation cheatsheet and similar documentation.
Hitchhiker

Post by Hitchhiker »

Here's the dictionary I use all the time. Never seen an ad on yet: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/
CharlesBlankenship

Post by CharlesBlankenship »

Thank you, just what I was looking for