Optinions requested: Switching off "Check links"

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
chewey

Post by chewey »

I don't really keep track of ABP's behavioural differences using different sets of filter options activated - all I can say is:

I do use "check banner links" with minimal to no false positives.
I just went through the last ~30 mails I got concerning my filter list - none
of them about problems with this option, and I myself don't remember having
troubles because of it for a long time.
YMMV, of course.

I certainly don't know how effective this setting is, as options don't have
a hitcounter (I'm not requesting this as a feature, god forbid, just
stating a fact :)). I'll switch it off now and will watch for differences.

Rick: Do you happen to have some false-positive-evocing sites on hand?
PeterPablo

Post by PeterPablo »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Unfortunately that's not possible. Gecko doesn't store the value of a preference if it is the same as the default value. So if the default value changes this option is suddently switched off for everybody.
Ok - this is bad luck then! I think then we should wait for some feedback of the "testers", hearing what they say on the impact. As first step I at least would rather disable then completly remove the option.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

chewey wrote: Rick: Do you happen to have some false-positive-evocing sites on hand?
Oh man .... I know that some were emails and others were on different forums. One more recent post that I could find in my forum is here:
http://www.richsterling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507
CaptnBlack

Post by CaptnBlack »

rick752 wrote:
Am I missing something? (seriously)
Yes you are... the freedom for the users to make the choice for themselves.
I see no reason to completely remove the option.

Granted it isn't very often useful, but it can be useful for blocking some extraneous crap on smaller sites I visit.

I don't use subscriptions(I don't believe in the one size fits all syndrome), and I don't know how it effects users who do, but I think it should be left to the users to minimze false positives on sites they visit.
Stupid Head

Post by Stupid Head »

CaptnBlack wrote: Granted it isn't very often useful, but it can be useful for blocking some extraneous crap on smaller sites I visit.
Can you give some examples please?
helping ghost

Post by helping ghost »

There are not many examples, but mostly small and nasty...

http://www.pcspielemagazin.de/index.html

The ebay-banner in the right menu pane can easily be blocked by using a filter like "/ads." or "adclick" or similar. These filters also work on many other sites, because they are general.

But when link checking is disabled, you have to use a sitespecific filter like "*/partnerlogos/ebay_*.gif".
helping ghost

Post by helping ghost »

helping ghost wrote:... right menu pane ...
correction: LEFT
PeterPablo

Post by PeterPablo »

I stumbled over the site www.weltfussball.de
There is one banner remaining without having the "check banner links" checked. It could be blocked via "*/partner/*" - but I guess this might introduce many false positives!
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I would block |http://www.weltfussball.de/bilder/partner/* in this case.
PeterPablo

Post by PeterPablo »

This is of course a possibility. I rather thought of the scenario, where "we" are using only 'general' filters. In this situation the 'check link' option would be handy.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

peter.ploss wrote:I stumbled over the site www.weltfussball.de
There is one banner remaining without having the "check banner links" checked. It could be blocked via "*/partner/*" - but I guess this might introduce many false positives!
Does this ad disappear when you have "check banner links" on? It could only do that if you had 'http://www.winterportal.de/' in your filter list as being a blocked site, as that is all that link says. It that an undesirable site? (I don't know ... don't speak german)
PeterPablo

Post by PeterPablo »

winterportal.de doesn't appear do be an "unwanted" page.

Unfortunatelly they seem to have changed the advertisments on weltfussball.de - I can't state my point anymore. Orginally the Advertisment was removed for me, only when I had the "check banner links" enabled - now everything is fine both ways.

sorry!
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Don't apologize .. it happens a lot. Many ads are in a revolving state ... here today, gone tomorrow. Many also are served from different ad companies also.

Usually if an ad gets though ONLY when you have the "check banner links" option on, it only usually means that you have missed something in your filters anyway.

The next time you see an ad like that, take a good look at the 'served' address and see if you haven't just missed something for that ad that should have been blocked already. :wink:
PeterPablo

Post by PeterPablo »

'roger that'
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Oops, I forgot to do this in the release candidate. "Check banner links" will be off by default in the release however.