Websites loading improperly

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Slowpoke

Websites loading improperly

Post by Slowpoke »

Had a case of websites not loading properly today, barely showing any features visually and having a very limited interface when trying to interact. Thought my computer had a virus at first. Continued by trying to test add-ons and low and behold that disabling Adblock Plus returned things to normal. It's even somehow stopped ads appearing on Youtube again, which as a lot of you know has been a thing lately. I will say that in addition to AB Plus, I also use AB Ultimate. I always used both just in case, and had no issues like this one before today. But disabling AB Plus and keeping Ultimate on seems to have gotten things back to normal. Hopefully it'll stay that way. I'll keep you updated.
snoopydoopy

Re: Websites loading improperly

Post by snoopydoopy »

I had this same issue on FF where I had ABP installed, after figuring out it was ABP causing it I went to the ABP extension page where someone had left a review detailing the same issue and how they fixed it. Basically they updated the ABP filters after which the issue went away.

Worked for me, however now I notice that when a page is refreshed a pop up appears on the upper left hand side saying "Anti-Adblock Killer is no longer maintained! Please install its replacement - Anti-Adblock Killer Continued"

I don't have this extension installed and it's very annoying having to close it each time it appears. I'm not sure if it's related to ABP but it's quite a coincidence it appeared about the time I disabled/reenabled ABP on FF.

Edit: ok I managed to get rid of it by using the block element function of ABP but not sure why it was appearing in the first place.

Edit 2: I found that the element was still "blocking" parts of the site behind it as the frame was invisible but you couldn't click links behind it. After some head scratching I managed to figure out that the extension causing it is Greasemonkey, which I've disabled now. All is well!
Last edited by snoopydoopy on Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeCr

Re: Websites loading improperly

Post by MikeCr »

Witnessed, using Maxthon and Chrome.

I noticed tabs had the loading-spinning circle all-of-a-sudden and when I went to the web-page, adverts were on them (in Maxthon). I looked at AdBlocker and saw it was disabled.

I opened Chrome and noticed the Facebook Messenger page was blank, apart from the header bar. Gmail wouldn't load, instead it gave me a couldn't load this page message.

I shat my pants thinking I'd been got. I rebooted.

Opened Chrome; same experience. I checked AdBlocker, it was enabled so I disabled it. GMail and FB Mesenger returned.

Weirdly, Maxthon is fine, despite AB being enabled now.

HTH