how to Prevent Governmental blocking ruls ?!

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
http://10.10.34.34/?type=Invalid%20Site&policy=MainPolicy

Re: how to Prevent Governmental blocking ruls ?!

Post by http://10.10.34.34/?type=Invalid%20Site&policy=MainPolicy »

peaceful1 wrote:something near the whole net is blocked in my country. when a person tries to reach a certain site the page will be redirected to this URL:

Code: Select all

http://10.10.34.34/?type=Invalid%20Site&policy=MainPolicy
& after 30 seconds it will be redirected to another direction:

http://peyvandha.ir/
I tried to prevent this matter but whatever I do it won't prevent the redirection behavior.
these are the blocking rules I use:

10.10.34.34##HTML
peyvandha.ir##HTML
||10.10.34.34^
||peyvandha.ir^
it looks like there is a script that only functions when you're directly blocked by peyvandha.ir
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/97071
& one thing I notice the only browser that automatically reacts is opera that blocks the redirection so the Government has blocked the download link.
my main problem is with Google chrome
can anyone help me with this situation
Peaceful1

Post by Guest »

Can you simply firewall off that range of government addresses, whether it's the whole 10.0.0.0/8 or whatever they're using to capture blocked traffic?

Even if you get the ABP rule working as intended, do you really want any communication with those servers? Given the heavy handed nature of the Iranian government, I wouldn't put it past them to install a turnkey cybercrime exploit pack on a landing page, so they can root the computers of those deemed "dangerous" by the censors or secret police.

Those servers should be considered dirty as all hell and there is no reason to exchange any data with them.

I can't give any guidance on what range to block as I am not familiar with their infrastructure.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I personally think it's odd that all of Iran is NATed under the 10.0.0.0/8 block (the largest of the three Private IPv4 spaces); anyway, you should *not* use a firewall to block all of 10.0.0.0/8 or else you'll cut yourself off the Internet, instead just block access to 10.10.34.34 and whatever other IP addresses are used by Iran to display the "banned site" warning.

Keep in mind that this won't actually allow you to access blocked sites, just keep your computer from communicating with that shady arm of the Islamic Republic.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.

Post by Guest »

If Iran is nationally routing over the entire /8 then that can't be blocked, but surely they've partitioned off government addresses separately from addresses used in the private sector, since they're effectively acting as their own RIR.

To the threadstarter, I would suggest connecting via Tor to perform Google searches for a list of the Iranian government netblocks. You'll probably have more success than I as I can't read or search in Farsi.

Perhaps ABP contributors can perform a vital public service by publishing a subscription list of IPs/domains confirmed to be under the control of the Iranian government. While that isn't quite as effective as simply dropping the packets at the firewall, it is much easier for a person to use, and therefore, much more likely to protect people of limited technical ability. For reasons of safety, everything under the control of the Iranian government must be considered a hostile service on par with the worst of the cybercrime gangs. Given the suspected links between Iranian secret police and attacks on certificate authorities, it is plausible that the Iranian government is hiring cybercrime syndicates as consultants.

This thread has inspired me to rent another VPS Tor relay.
peaceful1

Post by peaceful1 »

in a few years/months(not certainly sure) the Iranian national network will be launched.
after that they will totally close messengers /https/proxy/vpn/.... port for good & no one would be able to bypass that system.
they have spend billions of dollars for this system
So spending any time for preventing the block behavior will be a huge waste of time.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

How difficult is it to leave Iran?
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
peaceful1

Post by peaceful1 »

not that easy if it's recurred. Iranian passport is one of the most worthless ones.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I was thinking in terms of emigration; then again if it gets even worse you may be able to claim refugee status.

Post by Guest »

peaceful1 wrote:in a few years/months(not certainly sure) the Iranian national network will be launched.
after that they will totally close messengers /https/proxy/vpn/.... port for good & no one would be able to bypass that system.
So spending any time for preventing the block behavior will be a huge waste of time.
It's a waste of time if it keeps someone safe in the meantime?

If there is any way for the national network to route to the outside world then there is a way to sneak tunnel traffic through.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Guest wrote:
peaceful1 wrote:in a few years/months(not certainly sure) the Iranian national network will be launched.

If there is any way for the national network to route to the outside world then there is a way to sneak tunnel traffic through.
I think the point is that there won't be; IIRC the Iranian national network will eventually cease to peer with the Internet.

Post by Guest »

lewisje wrote:I think the point is that there won't be; IIRC the Iranian national network will eventually cease to peer with the Internet.
Is that the actual goal, or are they simply internalizing more content out of a desire to implement stricter perimeter filtering or feed the regime's sense of nationalism? Derouting the entire rest of the world will destroy email and business. It will also put Iran firmly in with the likes of North Korea and Cuba.

They can't stop the dissidents with satellite uplinks. Transit over Iridium may be expensive but advocates of freedom will find the funds to maintain communication with the outside world alive and keep the resistance alive.

Even the more conservative Saudis aren't talking about cutting off their nation's external connectivity completely.
peaceful1

Post by peaceful1 »

I was thinking in terms of emigration; then again if it gets even worse you may be able to claim refugee status.
will I have lived in America & traveled to few west European countries. it wished it was that easy but most countries see Iranians with a different look than most other people .

it has to aims:
1) securing domestic information from traveling the whole world(net)
2)closing near the whole nets ports(messenger,mail,vpn,proxy,...) & replacing with national mail & other national services.
I think the point is that there won't be; IIRC the Iranian national network will eventually cease to peer with the Internet.
I'm not sure how it works but everyone is sure when ever it will start working there is no way to bypass that system.
you have to know the IR has the most sophisticated & complex spying & monitoring systems for cellphone & internet.they have provide these supplies from Nokia Siemens & chines companies .
in that period of time the only way of reaching free net will be satellite & as I know you will be hanged as a spy
Last edited by peaceful1 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Guest wrote:Derouting the entire rest of the world will destroy email and business. It will also put Iran firmly in with the likes of North Korea and Cuba.
I wouldn't put that past the Islamic leaders unless and until one of the ayatollahs or marjas issues a fatwa against the censorship or cutoff of communication, like Khamenei did against nukes or Muhammad Tahir al-Qadri (though a Sufi from Pakistan rather than a Shi'a from Iran, and though purely a scholar rather than any government official) did against terrorism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwa_on_Terrorism
Koffirkmde

Post by Koffirkmde »

:roll: 
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

This isn't 4chan, yanno

...wait, are you possibly one of those Iranian state-security folks?