Adblock causes 100% CPU usage

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Henry 'Pi' James

Adblock causes 100% CPU usage

Post by Henry 'Pi' James »

Recently my Firefox 1.0.6 (Windows XP SP2) is having 100% CPU usage for several seconds (to be more exact, 10 to 30 secs on a 3+ GHz machine) on a certain website. Using Sysinternal's Process Explorer, the thread at fault has been located as "firefox.exe!jpeg_fdct_ifast+0x558f". At first I thought it was a browser incomatibility issue of the website which has changed its layout just now.

A friend of mine who is also using Firefox on Windows however did not have that problem, which made me thinking. Then yesterday, he installed Adblock Plus, and suddenly got the particular problem I described to him. So, it's clear now that Adblock Plus is at least partially faulty on this issue.

Please check the website (which is in simplified Chinese) out yourself:

http://bbs.alltt.com/
Yochanan

Post by Yochanan »

Nope, no 100% CPU usage with me. Takes forever to fully load though.
Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

I have never seen a site take longer to load and I'm on 5MB cable!! CPU was 6-14% average, spiked at 22%, down to 9%, 3%. I would consider that completely normal considering the nightmare that site is for ANY equipment to "load."

I think there's more going on there to do with a horribly made site than anything to do with:

1. FX
2. an extension which filters out content pre-load! I'm not visiting it again, (ever) but it would be interesting to see how fast it loads without AdBlock. Hope you have a good book!

Interesting find though. I wouldn't worry about your computer, CPU, page loading or anything else unless you have similar difficulties with several sites.
mcm

Post by mcm »

Don't see why it should be that bad, but you can try disabling the "Check DIV Elements" preference as that adds extra overhead that doesn't exist in the official adblock.