Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby SomeDudeSomeWhere » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:34 pm

So, is there any other product which actually does what this used to?

(I've used abp for years, over many OS's and browsers, this move is unacceptable, and I will no longer use or support this software)
SomeDudeSomeWhere
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Wladimir Palant wrote:Dear "hate all ads" people, please just accept the fact that the world doesn't revolve around you. There are people who hate all ads (around 25% of our users according to the results of the user survey) and there are people who have concerns that they might destroy the very websites they like. Just because you belong to the former doesn't mean that everybody else does. I would give a link to the survey results and analysis but that's much text - and unfortunately, most commenters here didn't read past the headline, I don't want the same kind of comments there as well. Just use Google or your search engine of choice if you are willing to read.


There is only one reason why you implemented this, because you get much money for it. You have sold yourself to the advertising industry and you have betrayed every single user who trusted you.
Guest
 

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby JD » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:44 pm

I have figured out how to block the ads. You have to click the red icon on the toolbar thing in the bottom-left corner of the browser. Click on "Open blockable items" and find one that has googleads and doubleclick.net in it. Double-click on that, then select the box that says doubleclick.net (it was above custom for me) and disable that. That has block nearly all of my ads; most importantly, the ads at the beginning of the video.

Hope this helps other people that have run into the same problem.
JD
 

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby Wladimir Palant » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:53 pm

@JD: Thank you for proving my point on the importance of good defaults.

You seem to have removed your filter subscription (see http://adblockplus.org/en/getting_started#subscription). You should add it again (use Filter Preferences) and you will no longer have to block ads manually.
Wladimir Palant
ABP Developer
 
Posts: 8395
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:59 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby VeryVenom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:54 pm

There is no such thing as acceptable ads.

All ads are an invasion of mental privacy. ALL ADS.

I use Firefox so I can block ads.

Advertising is a parasitical nightmare that had helped to make society ugly by spreading endless lies and expectations.

I sincerely doubt the 25% statistic. It requires actual interest in escaping ads to use ad-block. Please do not sell out.

P.S. The bs theory that there are good ads that support sites doesn't fly. The truth is those of us who hate adevrtisements won't respond to them positively regardless of how they are presented.
VeryVenom
 

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Wladimir Palant wrote:@JD: Thank you for proving my point on the importance of good defaults.

You seem to have removed your filter subscription (see http://adblockplus.org/en/getting_started#subscription). You should add it again (use Filter Preferences) and you will no longer have to block ads manually.


I removed it after I reset my browser for the second time because I thought I would help. It didn't stop the ads before I removed it, so I didn't see the point in putting it back, but I guess it couldn't hurt.

The point is, it didn't block anything before I messed around with it. In the end, I still had to block the ads manually.
Guest
 

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby Ogal Finklestein » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:06 pm

wtf wrote:
Ogal Finklestein wrote:To add to what Anti-Ad said, if content providers are using websites to generate revenue via ads, then I think they should get real jobs. Again, I run my own webserver, free of ads, and I provide my content for FREE (novel idea, eh?). How do I make money then? Working as a SysAdmin for a University. There's no duplicity in my position; I'll always do my best to block the tracking and the advertising AND provide free information to the 'Net to those who read my information.


You sound like my grandad, only stupider.

He thinks the internet thingy is all make believe too lol. You seriously think running a website can't be a 'real job', you're a fool.

Newsflash for you Einstein, if you were smarter your website wouldn't suck so hard, you'd have more visitors and might need to fund the cost of running the website by means other than your own pocket. Do you think running a site like twitter could be funded by your wage, do you think you could do it as a hobby in your spare time, do you think it isn't a proper job, do you think at all, or do you just spout crap like the rest of the whiny babies here.

*assuming twitter runs on add revenue, idk I use adblock.

The thing is adblock was great when it was just us techies using it but its not like that anymore, its spreading. I see sites having issues with infected ads, someone posts 'I'm getting a virus warning' someone else says 'install adblock' and countless people install it, rinse and repeat.

Ads did go too far, but we need them, without them most sites couldn't survive. We just need them to be harmless and less intrusive ...


Ha ha ha, you assume me with your BS. No, I dont adblock Twitter and I havent seen an ad on Twitter; so why dont you double-check your statements before posting them. I never said running a website wasnt a real job -- in fact Ive done that as part of my SysAdmin duties. However I believe there are other ways of generating income besides slapping ads all over a website.

As for the content of my website, you know nothing about it to make such assinine comments. Even if I did have ads, the revenue generated would affect my bottom line, which is effectively (for me) my own pocket.
Ogal Finklestein
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:02 am

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby Skulkie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Guest wrote:
There is only one reason why you implemented this, because you get much money for it. You have sold yourself to the advertising industry and you have betrayed every single user who trusted you.


I fully agree. Please find another way to make money.
Skulkie
 

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby JD » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Guest wrote:
Wladimir Palant wrote:@JD: Thank you for proving my point on the importance of good defaults.

You seem to have removed your filter subscription (see http://adblockplus.org/en/getting_started#subscription). You should add it again (use Filter Preferences) and you will no longer have to block ads manually.


I removed it after I reset my browser for the second time because I thought I would help. It didn't stop the ads before I removed it, so I didn't see the point in putting it back, but I guess it couldn't hurt.

The point is, it didn't block anything before I messed around with it. In the end, I still had to block the ads manually.


That was me btw. Forgot to put name. Not registering for one topic.
JD
 

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby Rünic » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:42 pm

This is a sell-out move and you know it.

It's like the no-call list dispute, where a telemarketing representative actually had the gall to say; "Some people want to be called and offered our products and services". The only people who actually want advertising is advertisers. For the rest of us, programs like adblock are a way to normalize everything, a way to return sanity to the internet.

It's bad enough we have to resort to these programs... But for those who founded [adblock] to suggest letting "a little" advertising through is tantamount to the practices of politicians and you're fooling yourself if you say otherwise.

In the words of Scott Fitzgerald; "Advertising is a racket, like the movies and the brokerage business. You cannot be honest without admitting that its constructive contribution to humanity is exactly minus zero. "

No compromise, no middle ground, no advertising.
Rünic
 

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby NOADS » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 pm

To get rid of the "acceptable ads", which sounds like a paradox to me btw, type about:config in your address bar and search for:

extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_exceptionsurl

and delete the value

https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/exceptionrules.txt

restart FF, and you should be free from ALL ads again.

@Wladimir Palant

Dear "hate all ads" people, please just accept the fact that the world doesn't revolve around you. There are people who hate all ads (around 25% of our users according to the results of the user survey) and there are people who have concerns that they might destroy the very websites they like. Just because you belong to the former doesn't mean that everybody else does. I would give a link to the survey results and analysis but that's much text - and unfortunately, most commenters here didn't read past the headline, I don't want the same kind of comments there as well. Just use Google or your search engine of choice if you are willing to read.

Just one question, so for you it makes sens, when 25% of the ABP users are okay with "acceptable ads", the 75% have to do also? What kind of logic is that? We use ABP to get rid off ALL ads, not just a few...

At least you should make a option in about:config for us administrators for the "allow non-intrusive advertising" check box, so we don't have to manually do that on every client.
NOADS
 

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby vinny86 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:40 pm

@NOADS
The survey reveals 75% are okay with acceptable advertising, not the other way around.
User avatar
vinny86
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby NOADS » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:45 pm

vinny86 wrote:@NOADS
The survey reveals 75% are okay with acceptable advertising, not the other way around.

Wait what? Sorry I can barely believe that, 75% of the ABP users are accepting advertising? In this case the survey is 100% faked ...

Doesn't make any sens at all, people install ABP to get rid of ads, not the other way around. ;)

You should rename Adblock Plus into "Adblock Porous" instead....
NOADS
 

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Postby berzerk » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:52 pm

So, we can conclude that unchecking the "Allow non-intrusive ads" is only making the user "believe" they are not allowed ?

If this is true, I"m out. I'm not surprised after seeing Wladimir's posts about teaming up with commercial inspired people.

Goodbye, we should have seen it coming.
berzerk
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:12 am

whoops sorry

Postby betrayed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:54 pm

And so the "whoops sorrys" begin. You know, Facebook-style where they're totally trying to protect our privacy, but "whoops sorry" we made a mistake and left some stuff vulnerable. Of course, AdBlock Plus is fully trying to accommodate by allowing opt-out, but "whoops sorry" the opt-out isn't available on Android Firefox. And once you swallow the poison pill on Android Firefox, just try reverting to an older ABP. Though it could be easy if developers so desired, reverting is really, really hard--"whoops sorry, we're honest just trying to save users from reverting to previous, more buggy versions." So they "whoops sorried" a small segment of the users. But that's how you do it: just keep chipping away at the users while maintaining plausible deniability. That Android privacy violation--whoops sorry--is an honest mistake, right?

How do we ever trust these people again? I mean, no matter how plausible the story is, every "whoops sorry" from here on also reads like they were taking advantage of the revenue generating position they first built on user trust. "Oh, we stabbed you in the back? Whoops, sorry!"
betrayed
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Adblock Plus for Firefox support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pavlosmmb and 35 guests